Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Junction City, Oregon: The History and Settling of A Wonderful Small Town

Source: Wikipedia ~ Junction City, OR

" The History of Junction City, Oregon"

 Source: Junction City, Oregon Website

Hello Sepia Saturday Friends and All Visitors,

I just want to say that I'm sorry to have been missing in action for a while on SS.  First I had computer problems, then Blogger glitched and put me behind, and last weekend I was out of town on our annual Pioneer Cemetery grave hop.  (Please go to my home page and read this week's posts, I think that you will enjoy them.)


So, anyway, when I saw Alan's train photo prompt, it made me think of the train in the park in the little town of Junction City.  My Dad, Ralph Johnson, lived there during his junior high and high school days; and my Grandma and Grandma Johnson lived there until they died.  My Grandma and Grandpa Traylor lived about 5 miles from the town, where they operated a little store/gas station until Grandpa died, and Grandma moved into Eugene, 12 miles away.  I have very fond memories of Junction City, Oregon.


This picture of the high school basketball team was taken around 1951 or so.  It looks to me that Dad, (#29 in the back row) was a freshman or perhaps a sophomore.  I love how they all autographed the back of the photo.  There is no way they would have thought that it would have ended up on the internet (the what???):


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


Now, let's get to the railroad part of this post.  I was lucky enough to find this copy of The Lane County Historian in a thrift shop several months ago.  It is filled with information about the settling of Junction City, and how the railroad was crucial its beginning. 

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

This early basketball team played on roller skates in 1910.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I was thrilled to find this 10 minute historical video about Junction City.  Train buffs and history buffs will enjoy the time it takes to watch it:



Please click on each photo below to enlarge it for better viewing.  You can also zoom in once again after you do that:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


So, there you are.  I hope that you enjoyed your visit! Take care, and have a wonderful weekend.

Kathy Matthews


This is a Sepia Saturday post.  Please CLICK HERE  to see wonderful bits of history from around the world!



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

13 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

What a clean cut, good looking, group of young men. I'd have stalked any of them.
Basketball on roller skates, I would loved to have seen that.

Brett Payne said...

Yesterday's newspaper reported that our city is to receive a gift of a surplus, redundant ex-Air Force jet for display. Not quite the same as a steam locomotive, is it? I'm fascinated by that snow machine - it must have been fun to drive. Great photos, thank you.

OEBooks said...

Hi Kathy,
WoW, you have so much going on here. But this is great. I like the variety, which is why I nominated your blog for the Versatile Award! You can grab the badge from my blog and pass it on!!!
http://oebooks.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing such a great blog.
Rhonda

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Anni - I agree! #29 is my favorite.

Brett - thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Rhonda - oh my, thank you so much. I'll be by to visit in a bit and collect my award and read your post. I appreciate your gift very much.

See you guys soon,

Kathy

Postcardy said...

That was a really interesting post. I read all the articles and watched the video.

Bob Scotney said...

What an amazing post with so much history to absorb. I have such a slow broadband service that I have to download a video of this length. I'll have to look at it later. It's fascinating to see trains with a cowcatcher on the front.

Howard said...

Fascinating post. I've got friends who live not far from Junction City, I'll ask them if they know about this.

Christine H. said...

Next time we drive south, we might have to make a detour to Junction City. Very interesting. Basketball on roller skates make so much sense, and must be very fun to watch.

Hootin Anni said...

Yes, you have been gone from our little world of blogging...you've been missed. But your circumstances allows you to be absent. But, boy howdy, this post is most interesting. I love history such as this. What a treat. And....your photo of your father [#29] well, it makes me think of a long ago photo of MY dad in a high school team in South Dakota. I gotta see if I have it or if it went with my brother and all the photo albums.

Great post.

Tattered and Lost said...

Oh I love Junction City, especially the Scandinavian Festival. And there is a restaurant that serves huge waffles covered in strawberries and whip cream. Yes, I long to be in Junction City.

Bruno Laliberté said...

from trains to pizza parlors??
oh well!!
much loved the vid and i would love to see that locomotive!!
:)~
HUGZ

Little Nell said...

Whata great thrift shop buy; so much history and so many pictures.

MuseSwings said...

What a great informative post! I love the idea of basketball on roller skates. I little more excitement and don't have to listen to those squeaky shoes.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":