Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Blurb Friday #23 : When It Rains, It Pours ~ One Woman's Guide to Self-Reliant Living

This is a Book Blurb Friday post.  What is Book Blurb Friday?  Lisa Ricard Claro, over at "Writing in the Buff" holds a fun exercise in writing for us each week.  We (and you too!) have 150 words to tell a story that goes with the photo that she provides, pretending that it will be on the inside jacket of a bestselling (hopefully) book.  Fiction, non-fiction, biographies, travel ... it is your book, just write it!  This week, Lisa chose one of my pictures.  Thanks, Lisa.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 "When It Rains It Pours:  
A Woman's Guide to Self-Reliant Living"
 
The heavens have opened up; seemingly weeping as the rain pours down in buckets.  This surprise mid-summer thunderstorm has the dogs very worried and they weave in and out around her legs.  The power just went out, and Erica is in the middle of coloring her hair.  She lives in the country, and without electricity, she has no running water until it resumes and the pump turns back on. 

Resourceful Erica stands underneath the gutter near the front step, and lets the rain rinse out her hair.  The dogs peer at her through the screen door, whining loudly as they worry for her safety.  “Quiet!” she tells them.  

After the storm subsides, Erica becomes even more determined to prepare her home for times of disaster, or at least for times without electricity.  Read about Erica's journey in self-reliant living, in this step-by-step guide from a woman's point of view.  (150)



I am participating in Lisa's Book Blurb Friday, from over at Writing in the BuffWhen you have a minute, please go over and check out what everybody else has written.



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

9 comments:

Bookie said...

This is an interesting take on the prompt...nonfiction but with a creative edge! Would be an good read I think....

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I could have used some tips when our power went out last week. My husband's solution was to take himself to a movie - so I really do need the SELF-reliant education!

Tammy said...

Wow, she really is resourceful, rinsing her hair in the gutter! I'd like to read about this modern-day renaissance woman. Go Erica!

Kay L. Davies said...

What a wonderful idea, Kathy. What a great book that would be to have, even if it needed to be read by candlelight. Self-reliance is good — somebody tell the dogs.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Dominic de Mattos said...

I agree with Bookie - I can imagine this as a really fascinating read, because the blurb hints that it would be a beautifully creative read but giving really interesting insights and advice along the way.

Great blurb.

:Dom

Susan Fobes said...

It seems this woman is made of tough stuff so it would be more than interesting to see what she recommends!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, everybody! I wasn't sure this was going to fly, but maybe it would. Kay, you had me laughing about the dogs.

Have a great weekend, and thanks for stopping by!

Kathy

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

This really is a resourceful woman! I would have paced and fretted until all my hair fell out. LOL This sounds like a great read, Kathy, with plenty of "MacGuyver" moments. Nice!

SJerZGirl said...

Great concept for a self-help book! Especially starting with a scene like that!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":