Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Early Lane County Photographers:


 

The focus of this week's Sepia Saturday theme is of the photographers themselves.  I have been very busy this week, and didn't have time to make a creative post about the family photographers in my past.  Instead, I have scanned an article about the first photographers of Lane County, Oregon, which is where I grew up.  I found it very interesting, one reason being that it has to do with the settling of Eugene and the Pacific Northwest, which began over 160 years ago.  

For the main part, the story tells of photographers Mr. John A. Winter and Mr. Philip F. Castleman.  

To read the pages below easier, just click on them and they will enlarge.

Please click on the page above to enlarge for easier viewing.

Please click on the page above to enlarge for easier viewing.

 Please click on the page above to enlarge for easier viewing.

 Please click on the page above to enlarge for easier viewing.

Please click on the page above to enlarge for easier viewing.

The above article was scanned from this issue of the Lane County Historian:



So, there you are, my friends.  If you enjoyed this story, please visit my Sepia Saturday friends by "CLICKING HERE" to find other neat photos and stories. To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more, please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar to read whatever else catches your fancy.  Thanks so much for visiting! 

~ Kathy M.



Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews



Do you feature Sepia Photos on your blog or website? 

 Check us out on Facebook!







At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting story. I suppose that is the beauty of a new town, you can almost find out who did what and when,

Wendy said...

No matter what city I'm in, I always like looking at exhibits of photos from its early days, but rarely is any attention paid to the photographer.

Little Nell said...

That's an interesting document to have in your collection Kathy. Nice to have for a handy reference.

Bob Scotney said...

I'm struggling to read this Kathy due to the double page spread; pity because I'm sure I'm missing out.

North County Film Club said...

I have a friend who lives in Eugene - seeing that old photo makes it look like such a tiny town, nothing like it looks now. Interesting photos and article.
Nancy

Brett Payne said...

Photography and house painting is an unusual combination, but as with many photography businesses in smaller towns, there often just wasn't the business to make it a full time occupation. I had a good laugh about the discovery of "a process by which he can take photographs without showing the freckles, so as to spoil the picture." A sad, but not uncommon, end to Winter's business in Albany - I have come across numerous reports of photographic studios destroyed by fire.

I wonder if John Winter was a distant relation to the W.W. Winter who operated what was arguably the most successful portrait photography business in Derby, England. The firm is still taking photos today, although under different ownership. Funnily enough, there was also a Derby photographer named Bristow.

I look forward to reading about photographers in your family.

Joy said...

The Guard Office on the first pages lives up to its name, all comforts on that roof/awning. What an interesting piece of research the author has produced, I like stories of those early photographers.

Postcardy said...

I enjoyed reading the article even though I am not familiar with the area.

Mike Brubaker said...

Thank you, Kathy, for "reprinting" that very interesting history. Those first photographers were pioneers in many ways. Make sure you read my blog this weekend as I have an Oregon theme too.

Alan Burnett said...

Given my fondness for the early history of photography, this is a particularly interesting post. There is a certain pioneering streak that runs through that generation of early local photographers, whether they were in Oregon or Oxfordshire.

21 Wits said...

Usually I find that in so many places they never would give credit to the photographer, and even often information by various authors was left out as well. Goodness a great amount of reading, that I will come back to though! Your placement is perfect! Congrats again on your job, I myself have gone full time with my grand-delights, which is very rewarding. Children are such a joy and it seems no matter how much I've learned, through teaching them I discover new things, besides enriching my days. There are so many programs out there, especially through the library system. You are going to have FUN!

tony said...

Pioneers In Every Sense!

Pamela said...

So interesting, Kathy. A tribute to a photographer is something we don't see often.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

The two gentlemen did an important job, photographing landscapes, panoramic views of a new settlement. Understandably in general photographer at that time did more portrait work as it generated more income.

Hazel said...

A wonderful tribute to photographers. Amazing how at first I thought the articles look old but the date was fairly recent. It's always nice to see how a place was like in its beginnings.

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

I love the article about the photographers. When I post an orphan photo on my blog I always try to find out a little something about the photographer. Sometimes though this is next to impossible. However, sometimes though I hit the jackpot with articles like this.

Your courthouse photo greatly reminds me of a photo of the courthouse in my hometown which was destroyed by a cyclone in 1888. The men of the town all climbed on top of the destroyed building and were photographed in a similar way, coming out the windows, on the broken stairs. I always thought it was a very foolhardy thing to do as the building looked about to collapse into dust.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":