I have been reading everyday, but I haven't done a book report on here for months. Here are a few of the latest books that I have recently finished. I loved all three of these.
Water for Elephants is so good! I first heard of it when my friend Lisa recommended it on her blog. It is about an old man, Jacob, who lives in a nursing home. While Jacob is there recovering from a broken hip, the circus comes to town and sets up right next door to the home.
Though the story takes place over a matter of several days, most of the book is about Jacob remembering the years that he spent traveling in the circus as a veterinarian.
I don't even want to say any more because I would hate to spoil even one thing for anybody. Just read it, you won't regret it. It is fascinating.
Land of Sheltered Promise is a book that covers several generations of shirt-tail relatives who end up living on the same piece of land. Three separate stories span nearly 100 years. The land where the story takes place is a real ranch in Central Oregon, not far from the towns of Shaniko and Antelope. It is known as either The Big Muddy Ranch or for awhile during the 1980's as Rasneeshpuram. What each story has in common, besides the land itself is how each character transforms because of the ranch.
- "A Hundred Secret Senses" and "The Joy Luck Club"
- "Ah Fu: A Chinese River Boy"
- "All Posts Having Something to do with Recent Reads"
- "Angel's Rest"
- "Change of Heart" and "The Secret"
- "Crooked Little Heart"
- "Family News", "Little Earthquakes", "Hold Tight"
- "Firefly Lane", "A Map of the World" and "When Joy Came to Stay"
- "Haunted" by Chuck Palahnuik
- "Knit in Comfort"
- "Knit One Pearl One", "Water for Elephants" and "A Land of Sheltered Promise"
- "Leaving Home" and "Drowning Ruth"
- "Little House on the Prairie, On the Banks of Plum Creek and By the Shores of Silver Lake"
- "Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings - The Yearling"
- "Midwives", "Living Among Headstones", "Whitethorn Woods", "Gerald's Game"
- "No Country For Old Men", "The Shipping News" and "The Secret Life of Bees"
- "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue"
- "The Beach House"
- "The Department of the Lost and Found", "Miami Psychic: Confessions of a Confidante" and "Belong to Me"
- "The Help"
- "The Lovely Bones" and "Everythings Eventual"
- "The Memory Keeper's Daughter"
- "Thin Threads"
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn: The Movie in Full
- Bargain Book Bonanza #11: "Case Histories" and "Heart and Soul"
- Bargain Book Bonanza #4: Children's Lit Blog and Book Reviews
- Bargain Book Bonanza #6: St. Vinnie's
- Bargain Book Bonanza: Bend Humane Society Thrift Store
- Link to my Children's Literature, American Folklore and American Traditions Blog
|At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot! All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today. |