Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday #171: Last Night's Sunset

As our friends on the East Coast are dealing with the hurricane, and friends in the mid-west are in the middle of a drought and horrible heatwave, those of us on the West Coast seem to have gotten off rather lightly all summer long.  Except for wildfires.  About an hour away, they are raging.  There is one around Madras, Oregon, that is supposed to be settling down after three weeks, but this week Warm Springs Reservation began burning big time.  To make matters even worse, they have closed sections of Highway 97 due to fire around the towns of Maupin and Grass Valley.  The smoke has blanketed Bend for days. What a mess.  

Still, all that smoke with a bit of thunderstorm clouds thrown in made for the most striking sunset here in La Pine last night.  I am so glad that I got off of the couch and went outside to photograph it.  I hope that you like the pictures too.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

This one is a good one ... can you see the bird above the tree near the brightest area?  I'm thinking that it is a Bald Eagle, but it could be a hawk of some sort.  Or, it could be a seagull, though that doesn't seem as cool somehow.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I took these two standing by a tree and shooting 
through the branches.  Such different effects.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews



This is a Shadow Shot Sunday post.  To see more beautiful shadow shots from around the world, please "CLICK HERE" to visit Ms. Tracy over in Australia at Hey Harriet.


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

12 comments:

Tahoe N Winston said...

Stunning!!!!

PS...I just emailed you. So if you don't see "It's me Hootin' Anni" on a subject line...check your spam folder.

Have a glorious Sunday.

BLOGitse said...

I just heard they're stopping public transportation in New York...
Hopefully Irene calms down asap.

Your sky shots are beautiful and yes, I can see that bird! :)

Ms. Becky said...

these are some truly splendid photos Kathy. oh my. they are just spectacular. I hope those fires get under control very soon. it's so dry here but luckily we aren't all that forested or they would be burning! happy day to you.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Those fires can be so devastating. I hope whatever occurred there was caught in time to prevent too much damage and loss. You got some lovely photos from it, though.

Yesterday my husband and I drove up a hill in our neighborhood and both of us gasped. The way the sun shone through the clouds and trees created an effect of multiple spotlights beaming down. It was so beautiful, and neither of us had a camera!

Rajesh said...

Terrific captures.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Let's just call the bird a bald eagle--and we'll all feel better! :-)


SHADOW DITTY

Shadows of onyx, shadows of grey,
Shadows to chase my doldrums away;
Shadows each morning, shadows at night,
Shadows, O shadows, you’re my delight!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadowy Stairway

bj said...

This has been the hardest summer for most. I live in the DROUGHT area..West Texas..we've had one, one inch rain since last November. :(
Nice photos.

Arkansas Patti said...

First off, thank you so much for stopping by and checking on me. I am doing much better and as for Irene, she improved our weather by pulling all the moisture out of our state. No humidity. I sure do feel for those along the coast though.
As for you getting off easy,no way. Fires are dreadful. I do hope they are under control soon.
Your pictures are wonderful.

forgetmenot said...

Really pretty shots, Kathy. It pays to "run outside" at sunset just to see what it looks like. I'm always a little late--it's gorgeous but by the time I get my camera, it's gone. Fleeting beauty!! Have a good week. Mickie :)

Kim, USA said...

This is very stunning!! Looks like the sky tries to impress you ^_^ Happy Monday!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Nice scenes and your photos, too.

Regards!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Everybody,

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit and for your great comments.

If I haven't been to see you yet, I am on my way! I hope that you drought people get some rain, the good kind today, asap.

MMT - as always, you crack me up. Let's just do that.

Patti, the fires are very bad now. They had 3 highways closed down yesterday ... main ones, at one point or another.

Have a wonderful week,

Kathy M.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":