Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Crock Pot Roast and Other News:



Hey, you guys, how are ya?  I hope that you are looking forward to a nice weekend, wherever you live.  Mom is coming for a visit, and we will be listening to Tyler's game via modern technology on the computer this evening.  Tonight's game will actually be on t.v., but not where we are.  I think we are going up to the lake tomorrow to bring the boat home.  Otherwise, not much else is planned.

I am making more slide shows with my older photos.  It is another way to save them and an easy way for you newer readers to get a chance to view them.  This morning I am concentrating on my Newport, Oregon Coast pictures.

I made a really good roast yesterday in the crock pot.  I didn't take any pictures, but I'll tell you how I did it.  You will need the following ingredients:

1 boneless roast that will fit into your crock pot, 4 or 5 pounds 
2 cans of beer
1 packet of Au Jus mix
1 pound or so of baby carrots
1 large onion, wedged
3 large russet potatoes, wedged 
Some salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce

First, heat up some shortening in a good pan.  When the shortening is melted and really hot, put the roast in there.  Stand back and be prepared for grease splattering.  Sear (brown) on all sides.  This will keep the juices in the roast and make it better.

Put the roast in the crock pot and poke holes into it with a large cooking fork.   Turn the crock pot on high.  In a bowl, mix the beer and au jus mix, as best you can.  Beer tenderizes the meat, and the alcohol will be boiled out by the time the roast is done.  Pour this mixture over the top of the roast.  Spread out the carrots around the sides of the roast.  Lay the onion on top.  Cook for 8 hours or so, and then cut your potatoes into wedges and add them on top of the roast.  Sprinkle on salt, pepper and add several dashes of Worcestershire sauce.  Cook until the potatoes are soft, around another 1 1/2 hours.

When done, put everything on a serving platter or in a large casserole dish, cutting the meat into large slices.  Ours really didn't even slice, it was so soft it was in shreds.  It was so good!


Remember to leave a comment to enter the contest, even if you do not want to become an official follower.  The winner will be announced on Monday!

Take good care and have a blessed weekend, my blends.


~ Kathy



2 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Sounds really good! I've never made it with beer before but I always do mine in the crockpot.

Manuela

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Manuela, thank you so much for stopping by! I have added your name to the contest. Good luck!

Kathy

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":