Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Queen of Small Spaces: Kathy's Mom Cave

Susan at  Between Naps on the Porch  is holding a contest on November 1st for one lucky woman to receive $250 to spend for her own Mom Cave.  I read that on her blog, and then Natasha at 5 Minutes Just For Me posted the photos of her Mom Cave.  So, I followed Natasha to Kate's Centsational Girl,  and submitted this link on Kate's portion of the contest.  I thought, well, hey, I really do have a "Mom Cave", why not show it off?   I did not write the required essay to win, but at least more peeps get to see my special little space.  I am officially submitting this post to Susan's contest, following the rules, now:

Since my room is done, if I win, I want to pass on my prize to Lisa at Writing In The Buff, because she has a loft off of her bedroom that she would like to turn into a Mom Cave.  Lisa has been very busy writing, and recently donated two of her stories to charitable contribution books: From the Heart, and 50 Stories for Pakistan.  I am very proud of her!  So, I went to the Home Goods.com website and chose these three photos of what I think would look great in Lisa's room:





My Own Mom Cave:


Last winter, I turned an extra bedroom into a den/playroom/mom cave (though I hadn't heard of that phrase quite yet).  You can find that room re-do here , after you scroll down about half way.  My Mom Cave is cluttered and imperfect, but when I go in there to read or watch t.v., I am surrounded by memories.  I love it so much!  When kids come over to visit, they enjoy this room too. 




This is the old t.v. with the built in VCR.  It doesn't get all of the cable channels, but it is an asset.  Especially when Casey and Tatum come over and want to watch a movie as they do crafts on the coffee table.


Pictures of Cary and Me


Old dolls.  That is me when I was 4 in the background.





Lots and lots of books!



I saved one outfit from each of my kids when they were babies.  The blue one is Kristin's, the red and white dress is Kari's and the black t-shirt is Nigel's.


This used to look prettier, but I took a lot of what was on top away when I was redoing the bathroom.



Art supplies on the desk, and hanging from the back of the door.



A handmade painted purse that my sister made is hanging from the closet door. (Julie made it, but Mom bought it at Julie's garage sale and then gave it to me.  Our Mom is awesome!).  I love my rocking cow.  I got it at Goodwill years ago, handmade, for only $5.00




Wall Hangings and Photos:


My BFF Patty made this for me a few years back.  She is also the one who made the Mary Engelbreit quilt that hangs in my creative room.  Thanks, Patty, for making our home prettier.











So, this is how my Mom Cave usually looks.

(This is what it looked like before I re-mixed the back bedrooms...)



Sometimes, though, I turn the Mom Cave into a Dad's Massage Room:



I take out the coffee table, and bring out the massage table from it's corner.  I take the basket down off of the top of the entertainment center that holds my massage supplies.  





I bring in some candles and turn on the CD player with the spa music.  I round up my best friend husband and give him the best massage that I can give.  It makes him feel special and lucky, and makes me feel like a nice wife.  


I know that I really am the the lucky one though.

Thank you so much for stopping by to check out my Mom Cave!

Susan at BNOTP asks us to visit the person before us and the person after us on her "Linky Days".  I happened to be the last on the list at Centsational Girl today, so I will feature the two people ahead of me.  Hello, ladies!  The first is Caroline at House Interrupted.  The second is Kim at  Savvy Southern Style. 

Don't miss out on the news ... please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.


14 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Cute room filled with things that hold special meaning to you. I bet your grands love it.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Kim,

Thank you very much for stopping by and for the compliment. They do!

Have a wonderful day,

Kathy

Natasha in Oz said...

Your room is lovely and I can see that it is full of all of the special things and memories in your life. That photo wall is a great idea too!

Love that cute picture of you when you were 4!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, Natasha! I have your pic already to mail; most likely tomorrow I will get them in the mail. I just stayed inside today and off of the road. Thanks for the links to the Mom Cave contest!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I love it! It looks friendly and comfortable, a wonderful place to pass the time. I don't really have a Mom Cave...just my office which doubles as the guest room. Our bedroom has a loft that has at times been an office, an exercise room and a storage space. One day it will be my reading nook, though. I've already decorated it in my mind. I can't wait!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Lisa,

Thanks! I bet you really can't wait to get started on the loft area. That sounds so exciting. Maybe you can sign up for this same contest that Susan is holding this Monday and get your own $250 gift certificate for decorating your "Mom Cave" reading room. That would be fun!

Kathy

Samantha said...

Hi Kathy! I think you summed up what a MomCave should be - a place where we can relax with happy memories surrounding us! I really like how you displayed the outfits from your babies. This must be a very happy space to be in.

Samantha

Prior said...

Alright, I'm getting the grand daughters and heading over. Looks like a great place! and how sweet are you to hand over your prize if you win
Lezlee

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looks like a great cave filled with so many wonderful family items.

Blessings,
Linda

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Oh my this is so beautiful and I adore the vintage pieces you have in there. Thanks for sharing!
Terry

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi, Samantha, Lezlee, Linda and Terry, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me such nice comments!

I have enjoyed visiting your websites too.

Have a great week!

Kathy

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Great room full of wonderful memories and mementos!

Thanks for sharing your 'cave' with us!

Nancy

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for stopping by, I really appreciate it so much.

Kathy

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

What a lovely gesture to offer to donate your winnings to another. I'm touched!!

:)
ButterYum

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":