Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

April's A-Z Challenge: The Letter G is for "Giraffe", "Gaeta, Italy", and for "Go Sit Down! Where I Tell You To!"



"G is for Giraffe!"

Kathy Matthews, January 2011

These were taken at Signature Imports in Sunriver, Oregon.


Kathy Matthews, January 2011


 "G" is for Gaeta, Italy ...

Savanna Matthews, 2010

Please CLICK HERE for "A Day in Gaeta, Italy"

"Go Sit Down!  Where I Tell You To!"




I wrote this last year, when the Swine Flu was introduced to the world and was making it’s rounds:

The story I am about to tell you is true. The clinic worker was not wearing pink, nor was she smiling, but I had a hard time finding the right picture, so I figured this one would have to do. You don't need a picture of me, I am easy to spot; I guess I look like a shady character.

This morning, I went into Bend with my husband to Bend Memorial Clinic. He was getting some blood drawn (well actually, he has a CDL and his name came up in the random pool for one of their mandatory drug and alcohol tests).  We were in the Family Practice/Urgent Care waiting room, surrounded by sick people wearing masks because either a) they were afraid they had the Swine Flu and were there to see the doctor; or b) they were afraid they would get the Swine Flu in the waiting room, which I could really relate to.  After Cary went inside the doctor's office, I hightailed it out into the hallway, next to the drinking fountain. I didn't want to be surrounded by sick people, because I'm not sick.  I was just along for a ride to Bend and some free lunch, for goodness sake!

After a while, I decided to sit on the floor. People walked by and smiled at me and I explained my presence in the hallway ... I'm just waiting for my husband, and I don't want to be in that waiting room with the sick people. They nodded and said, well, I don't blame you.  I was sitting at a strategic place, where I could see both exit doorways to make sure I didn't miss Cary when he was finally done. It took a half hour for him to finish up. He was in there flirting and laughing with the lab lady, while I was doing my best to avoid jail time (come to find out later).

Anyway, this administrative woman came out and asked why I was sitting there. So I stood up and told her my plan on avoiding contact with the Swine Flu.  She said, well this is a well-traveled hallway, why don't you go and sit on that chair in the waiting room (pointing to an empty seat next to two people with masks). I don't think she was listening to me very well. I said no thank you. She said, well the main waiting room is up this hallway, go sit there. I said, no, I might not see my husband when he gets through. Then I asked, why, has somebody complained about me being in the hallway?  No, no, nothing like that, she said.  At about that time, this older woman with blond hair walked by and said, I saw you sitting there, and I thought you couldn't get up by yourself.  Perhaps I looked like I was the one in need of a random drug and alcohol test? Jeeze, I thought I looked alright. The blond lady had reported me to the administrative lady. Great. If I looked to be in such desperate need, maybe the blond lady could have asked if I needed help instead of calling the hall cop.

So, I scooted over a few feet, to the other side of the drinking fountain, and waited another 10 minutes. The administrative woman stopped in front of me again. I am just worried that your legs will get tired, standing here, she said. Okay, so, it is against the law to sit down, and now perhaps it is against the law to stand up in the hallway at Bend Memorial Clinic?  I began to worry that she was going to call security, just to win the power struggle of where I was allowed or not allowed to wait.

The whole thing was weird. I was really glad when Cary finally finished, and we were able to go.  However, if I was worrying anybody, I am sorry.  I just didn't want to get the Swine Flu, that's all.  That is the reason why I was standing/sitting by the drinking fountain, instead of sitting in the waiting room with the masked people.

 
Tip:  If you see somebody sitting down in the hall, how about asking them if they are okay instead of calling semi-security?  And, semi-security ... I just don't know what to say.


Today is the seventh day of the A - Z Challenge, which is hosted by Arlee Bird's: Tossing It Out. Several of my blogging friends are participating, and this year there are over 1,200 participants. We post everyday, except for Sundays, and work our way through the alphabet. I am posting past photos that I have taken, and am linking them up to the posts where the photos originated from too. When you are all done here at Oregon Gifts, please click here to visit other bloggers who have accepted this challenge. 



If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

2 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

OMGosh!!! That security...be it semi or mini van...she was odd. Maybe you shoulda asked if SHE needed help in finding the loony bin!!

My Friday Fodder

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Anni ... I was really irritated when I wrote this, lol. The whole thing was odd.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":