Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sepia Satuday #88 : Oregon Trees

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

The photo above is of my grandparents, Floyd and Florence Traylor.  It was taken by their friend Howard, on a hiking trail at Mt. Hood.  Along with his wife Pauline, the four of them were out looking for huckleberrys that day.   If you have a minute, please enlarge the photo a couple of times by clicking on it, and see if you can find any "hidden" peeps in the snow and rock pile behind them.

Grandma and Grandpa T. enjoyed going on weekend drives in the forests of Oregon.  Grandpa was a logger, and he would scout out good spots during the week and then take Grandma to see them.  Today is my Grandma's birthday.  If she were still here, she would be 99 years old!  Happy Birthday, Grandma, I miss you a lot.  I miss Grandpa too, but he died when I was young, so I mostly miss not getting to have him around longer.  He was a really good guy.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I've shown you guys this picture before, but I labeled it this time.  I have seen it around on the internet, but it is of my great-uncle Hobart Hedrick, Grandma T.'s half-brother.  He is standing by his name, at the top of the tree.  Now, that is one huge tree!

This week's Sepia Saturday theme is trees.  I wanted to share a bit of the OSU Extension Service bulletin from 1957 (originally printed in 1949).  As always, you can enlarge these to read them better.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

There are many different native trees in Oregon, but I've picked out a few of my favorites here:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews



This is a Sepia Saturday post.  Please "CLICK HERE" to see wonderful old photographs and bits of history from around the world. 


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

13 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

I was so captivated by the slide show I nearly didn't get down to your Oregon Tree post.
Those old signs in the slide show are getting more valuable by the year. I need to know more about the slides please.
I'm glad I got down to the trees though. The information in Trees to Know was fascinating to me.

Little Nell said...

How lovely to be able to pluck a photo from the family album which fits this week’s theme so well. Having a grandpa who was alogger was the icing on the cake. I had difficulty spotting Hobart but I take your word for it....how on earth did he get there?

Arkansas Patti said...

Hobart really had a scary job. Those were really tough men who were logged.
Interesting information on the trees. All new to me.

Postcardy said...

That's a nice photo of your grandparents, though it has me puzzled. I couldn't figure out what your grandmother is doing. and is that really snow and warm weather?

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Bob, I hope you got my message, but if not, I have now gathered up all of the McMenamins posts into one spot ... at the very top of my sidebar as a separate page.

Little Nell, Hobart is that tiny man standing on the landing of where the top of the tree is falling from. He climbed up there, cutting down branches as he went along. Amazing.

Patti, that is for sure!

Postcardy, I think that Grandma is just looking over a rock and log ledge. That can very well be a pile of snow and rocks behind them though. Yep, up in these high mountains that happens all the time. I zoomed in on that pile and found some remarkable things!

Alan Burnett said...

Good gracious me : those are enormous trees. One reads about the giant fir trees in that part of the world but until you see a photograph - like the one of your grandfather - which gives a sense of scale you don't really appreciate how big they are.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Alan, I know exactly what you mean. They have gotten rid of so much of the old growth and that is very sad to me.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

A wonderful post! I love the book about the trees, all the details about them. I wish I had something like that about European trees. I know the basics but not much more.

21 Wits said...

What I learned on my first visit to Oregon...it's the home of TREES! ....and more trees...the loveliest of trees ever. Great wonderful tree filled post, thanks so much!

Unknown said...

Like Bob I was fascinated by the slide. Must have been a spa somewhere. Great tree post for sure.
QMM

Tattered and Lost said...

Ah yes, the Ponderosa. There used to be one in particular in the Sierra's that I used to climb to. I sit there for hours just looking down the valley. The tree was old and near Donner Pass. I often wondered how old it was and if the survivors had passed beneath it.

The lumber shot is amazing!

Mike Brubaker said...

Trees like those are now rare, as a are the men who could take them down. A nice collection.

Bruno Laliberté said...

your family pics this week were amazing!! fit to be framed and hung in a museum...
:)~
HUGZ

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":