Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Oregon Vortex and The House of Mystery: Sepia Saturday #114



This week's Sepia Saturday theme is shoes.  This post isn't about shoes, though the people in some of these photos are wearing them.

As I was sorting through more of the The Letsom Letters, I came across this cool little packet of photographs (8 photos and a brochure for only 25 cents, and you could mail the whole the whole thing).  The copyright date is 1946.  The subject is The Oregon Vortex and The House of Mystery.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

It looks like it might be addressed to  Mr. or Mrs. Ben Hedrick of Drain, Oregon, but since there isn't a stamp on it, I doubt if it was ever mailed.  They are my Grandma T.'s parents.  Mom said that her dad, Grandpa T. loved to visit The House of Mystery.  He always thought that there was something fishy about it and tried to figure out if it was somehow fake.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

These are my Great Grandparents, who were given this little packet of pictures.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I have never been there, though it is not very far away from Eugene, where I grew up.  I think that it would be an interesting trip to make someday soon.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

This seems to be a case where photos and even videos don't really help me understand what it is like to really be there.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews




Links:
Wikipedia: The Oregon Vortex/House of Mystery


For my other Sepia Saturday Posts, go to the sidebar on the left and scroll down until you get to this photo of my Dad and me for the list.  Make sure to visit my friends and read their cool stories over at Sepia Saturday.


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.  Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

19 comments:

tony said...

"One Cannot Photograph An Illusion" [don't tell Lady Ga-Ga!!] What A Great Post..Shades Of Alice In Wonderland! I Love It!

Little Nell said...

There was something about this on BBC TV over Christmas - not this actual attraction, but how the brain makes you believe certain ‘mysteries’ - it was all very scientific and I can’t say I entirely understood it.

Bob Scotney said...

Mysterious!

KathyB. said...

I am going to have to visit this place Kathy, you are so right, pictures, descriptions, and video still leave me feeling there is a mystery here.

I love the photo of you in your Dad's arms, that is a great picture in every way.

Kathy A. Johnson said...

Oh, yes, you are going to have to visit and report back to us! Sounds like a cool outing!

Kristin said...

I don't think I'm getting the real picture looking at the photos and video. PLEASE go and report back!

Postcardy said...

Very interesting. That is really strange, and I don't understand it.

Mike Brubaker said...

What a great story and fantastic place. I think I would much rather go to the Oregon Vortex than any amusement park.

Tattered and Lost said...

I love going to these sort of places, the real one and the fake. My dad has often talked about flying over one particular site and how the compass always went crazy because of the magnetic pul. I think it was the one near Santa Cruz, CA.

North County Film Club said...

what an odd and interesting place.
Nancy

Christine H. said...

Very interesting. Is this one still open for visitors? I used to live near the one in Santa Cruz and never went there. Now I live near this one and haven't been either.

21 Wits said...

How interesting, years ago at a family park, Valley Fair we had a house there much like that! Your photos are tremendous...I'd visit there now if it still open!

Joy said...

I don't know which is the most interesting the phenomena or the people demonstrating it. I'd visit (if there wasn't an ocean between me and it), wonder if the 'courteous guide' is still there.

Linda@VS said...

This is SO interesting. I've never heard of this and would love to experience it in person.

Unknown said...

That was very interesting and you got your shoes in too. Very creative.
QMM

Alan Burnett said...

Fascinating stuff : there used to be so many of these types of things back in the days before televisions and the internet. We tend to like our mysteries more polished these days, which perhaps makes for a less interesting world.

Wendy said...

What fun pictures! I'm enjoying going through those barrels of letters and cards with you.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Thanks for telling me about your post. I thoroughly enjoyed researching the Oregon Vortex, and vortexes in general, but it's really neat to see the old pamphlets.

21 Wits said...

Mysteriously cool and truly a must see! Thanks for sharing these fun photos. It would be great to check out!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":