Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Blurb Friday: "Charlie's Angel" and "The Rainbow Writer"

I've been behind on my Book Blurb Friday posts, first because I was gone and then, second, because I was so far behind.  This week I have done two, and I'll try to catch up on the others that I have missed as time permits.  Oh, Lisa is having a great contest too, so make sure to check out the details by reading her post about it when you are all done here.  Thanks!  CONTEST DETAILS HERE!!!!


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
"Charlie's Angel"
by Kathy Matthews

In 1998, three teens perished in an automobile accident in rural Kentucky:  Josh Rebar, Charlotte “Charlie” Bonaparte (Josh's true love), and his wannabee girlfriend, Natalie Ruskin. 

In their grief and love, Charlie’s parents spent money they did not have to preserve her likeness in a detailed and beautiful headstone.  They had no idea, and did not intend for Charlie’s spirit to be “frozen” in concrete and suffering a very boring afterlife.  To make matters worse, that aggressive Natalie was forever chasing Josh, parading around with him in front of Charlie, trying to win his heart.

In 2002, Ariel Foreman began to visit Charlie as she left flowers for her grandmother in the same cemetery.  A supernatural bond formed between the two girls, as they puzzled over how to free Charlie’s spirit.  Tipping over the headstone seemed the only option.  Would it work?  Would Ariel be caught ... fined for criminal mischief?  (150 words.)

This photo was courtesy of Sioux, over at Sioux's Page.  Please CLICK HERE to read how others interpreted the photo into their own story.



Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 "The Rainbow Writer"
by Kathy Matthews

Tillie Americus was an avid photographer.  Taking pictures was her passion.  Over the years, her work had improved and she was now featured in galleries.  Her framed and matted photos sold for thousands.  Still, in her heart of hearts, Tillie longed to write books.  She just couldn’t seem to get around to it.

Then, one day, in her great-aunt’s attic, she found the rusty old typewriter that Aunt Isabel had cherished, “The Rainbow Writer”.  Prior to her painful arthritis, Aunt Isabel had written many published novels on that typewriter during the 50’s and 60’s. 

Tillie took it home, cleaned it up with rust remover and machine oil, and sat down to give typing on it a whirl.  Four hours later, she had finished a perfectly good short story.  Pleased with herself, Tillie and The Rainbow Writer soon became constant companions.    

Ever since, many wonderful bestsellers have come from Tillie Americus.  (150 words.)

The photo in this blurb has been provided by Lynn Obermoeller from over at "Present Letters".   Please  CLICK HERE  to read the stories that other participants wrote about the typewriter photo.


I am participating in Lisa's Book Blurb Friday, from over at Writing in the Buff.   It is fun, and you can play too!  Pretend that the picture above is the cover of a book.  On the inside jacket, you have 150 words to entice the reader to buy your book.  Lisa gives us a week to think about next week's entry (she's gracious like that).  


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

12 comments:

forgetmenot said...

Kathy, I'm not sure when you have time to read with all your activities. But, reading is such an enjoyable thing to do, I try to make time for it too. Love the zoo slides--always such fun to take the grandchildren and go--it has been WAY too hot lately to do that.
Have a great weekend--it comes and goes so quickly!!! Mickie :)

Susan Fobes said...

Here spirit in the headstone? Crafty! What a marvelous job with both photos Kathy-I can't help but wonder where each will go...

Hootin Anni said...

Love the slideshow above from the Portland Zoo!! And your blurbs, outstanding.

This week's is great and mysterious...AND so very supernatural. Clever, CLEVER name/title for your book too.

My LINK

Have a super duper weekend.

Arkansas Patti said...

Loved them both but Charlie's Angel would have me pulling out my debit card. Clever premise.

Tammy said...

I like the subtle spiritual bond you have in both of them. Nice work!

Grandma's Goulash said...

You really hooked me with Charlie's Angel. Disbelief was quickly suspended and I could picture the story unfolding. Great story idea.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Both are creative, but Charlie's Angel is the one that got me. I'd love to see how this would play out as a real story. Great hook!

Kay L. Davies said...

I agree, "Charlie's Angel" has all the makings of a super bestseller, Kathy. Last week I'd have thought "Rainbow Writer" would make a nice book, but now it pales when paired with "Charlie's Angel". You've outdone yourself here!

—Kay, Alberta, Canada

Bookie said...

A spirit in cement...I bet it could happen! Different take makes for intriguing story....

Calico Crazy said...

A spirit trapped in its monument, gives me the creeps. I've never been a big fan of those huge life like statues in cemeteries maybe this is why.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, friends! I prefer "Charlie's Angel" too, but now I have a clearer vision for "The Rainbow Writer" and I do think it could end up being a better story than the blurb portrays.

Kathy

Sioux Roslawski said...

Kathy--You fit in time to write TWO blurbs this week. Wow!

I like both. The Charlie's Angel one--what a great play with the title--has an interesting twist. I hope she gets away with tipping the statue, and I hope it works...

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":