Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Uncle John and Aunt Signa Hedrick Go to Reno:









This week's Sepia Saturday theme has to do with cows at market.  Well, my only old cow photo is this one, and I'm not going to give you a bunch of bull ... I have shown it on here before!



I really wanted to share some old postcards that my Uncle John and Aunt Signa bought in Reno, Nevada when they were on their trip to Salt Lake City, Utah in November 1945.  I learned from Mom that they were on their honeymoon, and were married at Aunt Signa's brother's home in Prineville.  They were married after WWII was over, and Uncle John got back from being stationed in Brazil.  (Here is a post about him going on leave to visit a cemetery, and why the USA was in Brazil during WWII "CLICK HERE".)


Here is the happy young couple on their wedding day.  Uncle John became a radiologist, and Aunt Signa a telephone operator.  

Here are the postcards.  I think that they went to the trouble of buying them and getting them ready to mail, but I don't t think they actually mailed them.  The postcards didn't have any stamps on the back and were all together in Uncle John's mementos.




To:  Mrs. Hazel Woods, Drain Oregon  (Aunt Signa's mother) 

Elko, Nevada
November 23, 1945 

Dear Mom, 

Thought sure I would get a card off to you yesterday, but couldn't get around.  So hard to find places open and where to go.  It has been late every night when we get in.  So far we haven't slept in the car, but thought maybe we would have to last night.  We had a flat tire at 7 miles from Elko.  We haven't had any snow since we left Bend. (I can't make out the last sentence.) 

Love, Signa and John




11-23-45
Elko, Nev. 

Dear Folks, 

Here we are at Elko and everything going fine except we did have a flat yesterday.  The weather and roads are swell.  Will try to drop you a line from Salt Lake. 

Love,
John and Signa





To:  Mr. and Mrs. Ethan L. Woods,  
       128 Idlewood Ave., 
       Prinville, Ore. 

Elko, Nevada
11-23-45 

Things are going fine.  No snow since we left Lakeview except in the hills, but the roads are dry.  And just one flat tire and that was yesterday.  Thanks a lot for everything.  We have been having good luck getting places to stay so far.  I have decided that all they do in Nev. is drink and gamble. 

Love, John and Signa 

I just can hear the relatives telling others, if they HAD received the postcards, "Oh, we heard from John and Signa!  They had a flat near Elko and John says that all they do in Nevada is drink and gamble!"

The following postcards were never filled out, and the pictures are very clear: 






Just a bit of Reno and Vicinity's history.  This came from a packet of Reno postcard pictures that can be found in this post, Vintage Reno and Vicinity Post Card Packet, 1937.  


I also have a bunch of postcards that they brought back from Salt Lake City, bought as souvenirs.  Sometime I will get around to scanning and posting those also. 

So, there you are, my friends.  If you enjoyed this story, please visit my Sepia Saturday friends by "CLICKING HERE" to find other neat photos and stories.  To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more, please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar and read whatever else catches your fancy.  Thanks so much for visiting!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

16 comments:

Wendy said...

That's one way to save on postage! But I can so relate -- I have bought postcards but by the time I actually wrote, it was too late to mail them. I would be home ahead of the card.

Grammy Goodwill said...

Those postcards are real gems. I find it sad that they were never sent. I hope the couple didn't have to face a lot of complaints when they got home about why nobody heard from them.
What a history of the time back then those cards are.

North County Film Club said...

Hi Kathy,
That was an interesting bunch of postcards. I noticed on the last one that Reno seems to actually be written on top of that building.

Also, I've never heard of anyone being stationed in Brasil. Pretty unusual. Do you know what kind of work John was doing there?
Nancy

Linda Reeder said...

What a treasure those post cards are. And if they had been sent, you most likely wouldn't have them.

Postcardy said...

There are a lot of interesting signs clearly visible in the Reno photos. There is even one with a bride and groom and another advertising wedding rings.

Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, does the penny postcard bring back memories. To me they were like the first text messages in that you had to limit your characters.
I have a friend who still sends them.
How nice that you have such treasures.

Bob Scotney said...

Arriving home before your postcards is always a risk you have to take. Don't think I've sent any for 20 years. These Reno pictures are to be treasured.

Linda@VS said...

Beautiful old postcards, Kathy! I had to laugh at the "just one flat tire" message. Talk about a positive attitude! :)

Brett Payne said...

Yes, I've done that too, but I wonder if they were posted under separate cover? Thanks for sharing the images and story.

Mike Brubaker said...

Wow, quite a collection. The vintage cars with diagonal parking is neat as are the signage. No doubt a bright and blinking night life in Reno then.

21 Wits said...

Oh this post is dear to my heart! I almost made Reno my home town many years ago! I even had an apartment rented and hauled all my belongings out there, only to turn around and come back to Minnesota! These postcards and photos are just fantastic! Funny there aren't so many telephone operators any more though are there? Very enjoyable, thanks!

Joy said...

The beauty and the bull photo is a gem and must be unique. What a fantastic collection of postcards to be kept together, I especially like the black and white ones, so much going on in them.

Little Nell said...

That's a brave young lady sitting astride the bull! I prefer the ones with a fence between me and him. I've recently acquired a few postcards written by me but were saved to go in a scrapbook. Mind you mine were actually posted. You have a fine collection there Kathy.

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

Your postcards are absolutely amazing and that's no bull!

Kristin said...

I could make out that last sentence "So far we haven't slept in the car but maybe we would have last nite. As we had a flat and 7 miles from a town."

Bruno Laliberté said...

That Virginia street seems most photogenic. Some places just got that little something to make the best pics ever.
Thanx 4 sharing!!
:)~
HUGZ

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":