Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lisa Ricard Claro's Book Blurb Friday:

Link to "Sioux's Page"

 Grandpa's Statue of Mystery
by Kathy Matthews

Proud as he could be, fourth-grader Ercel Lane carefully carried home his garage sale treasure.  A fine statue it was, too; certainly worth more than the $1.25 that he’d paid for it.

Throwing open the front door, Ercel hollered for his mother.  Then that stupid dog came barreling out on a mission to get loose, knocking Ercel on his butt, and causing the statue to fly through the air.  “GET BACK HERE, Fred!” Ercel knew that he was wasting his breath.  That dog was long gone.

Ercel was saddened to find his statue broken at the base.  Picking it up, he then became extremely excited to find $2,000 inside, along with a note.  It read, “Return this statue and its contents to Dr. Herbert Lane immediately, OR ELSE!”  Herbert was Ercel’s great-grandpa, and was now dead. 

Read this charming novel, and learn the entire tale behind Grandpa's Statue of Mystery.  (150)


I am participating in Lisa's Book Blurb Friday, from over at Writing in the Buff.   It is fun, and you can play too!  Pretend that the picture on the top of this post is the cover of a book.  On the inside jacket, you have 150 words to entice the reader to buy your book.  Lisa gives us a week to think about next week's entry (she's gracious like that).  Please CLICK HERE  to read what everybody else wrote!


If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

14 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

By George, she's got it! LOL You've really jumped on the track, Kathy, with your blurbs. This is terrific. I love the idea you've presented and would like to know more about the story. Great job!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Kathy---I agree. The photo next week is sure to be inspiring.

The direction you took your blurb this weeek is interesting. I'd like to know how it ends...

Susan Fobes said...

Okay, first, the little boy's name is priceless! Second, this story could go in more than one direction-it could be funny or sinister, and this alone would have a reader aching to find out the truth. Very nicely done!

Sandra Davies said...

I have a lovely image in my mind of Ercel staggering home with this statue over his shoulder ... past history and future mystery in this one.

liberal sprinkles said...

What a great story line, Kathy, love it!

Pat Wahler said...

Love a good mystery. Great job!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Ellie Garratt said...

Sounds a fascinating story. I'm hooked!

Ellie Garratt

Kay L. Davies said...

I agree with Susan. Ercel and Fred could be a lot of fun, or the story could get very scary. Good job!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Linda O'Connell said...

That was fun! It reminded me of a time when I was a poor newlywed and found five dollars int he base of a lamp.

Tammy said...

What a fun mystery!

Grandma's Goulash said...

I've heard you can find some real treasures at garage sales. Hope he gets to keep the money.

I also broke the statue for my blurb, but the find was not as nice.

My Blurb: The Sculptor

jabblog said...

We all dream of prizes like that:-) Stories of circumstance and coincidence are always good to read.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Lisa - Thanks, cheerleader! Your praise makes me keep trying. I didn't even know where that story came from. I've been writing down on a legal pad with these BBF's, laying on the couch ... and it is interesting what develops.

Sioux - Your photo did wonders for my story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Susan - Thanks! I've been doing family history, and we do have an Ercel in there somewhere. I was thinking of making it a funny, youth mystery. Not sure the right term for it. Still, I know what you mean ... it could be a Stephen King type of story ... how did the statue end up down the street at a garage sale, anyway?

Sandra - Exactly, though I was imagining it as soccer trophy sized, lol!

Grace - thank you so much!

Pat - thank you!

Ellie - thanks! If I continue it on, I'll let you know. I just may keep working on this one.

Kay - I know ... maybe a bit of both. I'm glad you enjoyed the dog part ... I've been plagued since childhood with dogs who have done this sort of thing!

Linda - Cool! Kind of like finding $100 in a suit on it's way to Goodwill or something.

Tammy - thank you so much!

Grandma - exactly ... well, since Grandpa is gone and Ercel is a relative, I was thinking that he would be able to. I was also thinking that they might need to spend some of that money getting Fred free from the pound!

Jabblog - Thank you, I love how you phrased that. I think that I'm going to save your quote about Circumstance and Coincidence. :>)

Lynn said...

Hi Kathy! This was great. I've been out of town and am just now getting around to read all the BBFs. I would love to read the rest of this!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":