Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sepia Saturday #118: Going Out in Drain, Oregon



This week's Sepia Saturday theme is "Going Out", so I tailored mine to Going Out in Drain, Oregon.  Here are some neat old photos of my family members that were mostly taken around the Drain area.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

"Uncle Henry Hedrick and Aunt Gertrude Applegate Hedrick"

Uncle Henry was the eldest of the John and Louisa (Jackson) Hedrick's children.  The back of the picture says that Henry and Gertrude Hedrick's children are: Nelly, Mabel, Eva (Evelyn), Ray, Ada, Gertrude and Lula.

This house is located right in Drain, and later on Ben, Litha and their youngest son Homer moved into it.  Uncle Homer lived there until he died in the 1980's.   

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 "John and Florence Craig"

These two photos were taken in Iowa, not in Drain.  These Craigs are most likely extended cousins of my Great-Grandmother Maude Craig Traylor Bennett.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

"The Craigs"

I appreciate how neatly Florence carefully labled this small 2" x 3" photo.  I had to laugh at John Craig, in the middle center; it looks like he is saying, "Gee, I could have had a V-8!" 

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Aunt Signa (Woods) Hedrick (Uncle John's wife)
stands next to her inlaws, 
Litha (Letsom) Hedrick and Ben Hedrick 
(my great-grandparents).

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

My Aunt Mardelle, my mom, Jody, and 
Great-Grandpa Ben holding my Aunt Sondy.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Mrs. Hazel Woods, Aunt Signa's mother, 
with my Great-Grandma Litha (Letsom) Hedrick.
 

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

It sounds like these two ladies would be pretty mad at me for putting this picture on the internet!  The back of the photo says, "This is all I could find and I laughed so I thot I would send it to you.  Don't put it on your dresser.  I wonder where we are and I know it has been twenty years since I had that black dress.  Awful cold here Dec 11.  I will not put any name on this."  

We still don't know who the lady in the black dress is, but the one in the white dress is my Great-Grandma Litha (Letsom) Hedrick, a bit heavier in this photo than in the others.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Mom and I don't know who these ladies are, but they were in the Letsom Letters Collection, and they looked like they were dressed up and ready to go out!  To me, they look like Traylor women, 
but we still need to pin it down.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I hope that you guys got as much as a kick out of this post as I did!  Please make sure to check out my second post this week, "On To Oregon Cavalade, April - August 1959".   (It is a short one, so don't worry!)


~ Kathy M.


This is a Sepia Saturday post.  To see stories of others old photos or to post yourself, please "CLICK HERE" .  To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more. please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar and read whatever else catches your fancy.  Thanks so much for visiting!



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.  Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I just adore looking at old family photos. These are amazing. I remember when we found a bunch old tin types from 1905. They were taken as my grandpa's family was getting ready to embark on their journey to America from Vilnius, Lithuania.

Arkansas Patti said...

I wonder just when it became fashionable to smile for a picture. My old family pictures are the same. Picture taking I guess was serious business.
Still like that picture of you and your dad the best.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

A beautiful post, very interesting and entertaining to see all the photos, I enjoyed very much the ones with the children, they are so beautiful.

North County Film Club said...

He really does look like he's saying he coulda had a V-8. Too funny.
And the photo of the 2 ladies with that very funny inscription. Don't we all have photos that we wished wouldn't be end up on the dresser!
Nancy

Wendy said...

HA -- I'm still laughing at the warning not to put the picture on your dresser.

Anonymous said...

A lovely collection of family pictures, I particularly your "V8" comment :-) Jo

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

Love seeing their Sunday best.

Bob Scotney said...

I was hooked by this post as soon as I saw Uncle Henry. Fine collection of pictures especially as you can identify the people in most of them.

Joy said...

A great set of family photos, amazing all the information Florence has got on the back of "The Craigs", quite a contrast to the last of unknown ladies, although the message is amusing.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

This is such a great collection of old family photos- and to actually know who they are- priceless!

Alan Burnett said...

They are all going out in style. And your Sepia Saturday contributions are always stylish too. You make the most of some wonderful family photographs.

Unknown said...

How fortunate you are to have all these wonderful photographs. Since I am the last remaining member of both sides of my family, I have no one to go to now. I am trying to change that for my children and grands. Thanks for sharing this great treasure.
QMM

21 Wits said...

Every time I visit your blog, especially the Sepia Saturday posts I just marvel at how lucky you are to have such cool family photos, and such an awesome family that goes way back! You are blessed!

Unknown said...

Quite the catalogue of the oldsters of their day heading along. Fortunate for you that many have identification along the backs. Well, I think the 2 ladies would be surprised at how they are being viewed today and not on your dresser at all! Very good assortment here.

Life Goes On said...

great group of old photos. I love to see the clothing they wore.

Christine H. said...

Great photos, as always. I just love the first one. I had to laugh though when I saw 'going out' and 'Drain' in the same sentence. I just don't think of the two together, but then I haven't been to Drain in awhile.

Bruno Laliberté said...

John Craig was probably only placing his hair in the wind... but I prefer your version!!
:)~
HUGZ

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":