Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Shoeshine: Sepia Saturday Post #114




This week's Sepia Saturday theme is shoes.  I already have submitted a post that had nothing to do with shoes, but then this picture landed into my lap. 

This afternoon, my friend Barb K. emailed me a bunch of awesome sepia photos.  Wouldn't you know it, one was featuring shoes.  Thanks, Barb!  I know nothing about the photo except for what was written underneath it ...

This is a photo of Peddlers Shoeshine,  taken on Sept. 13, 1911:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews




For my other Sepia Saturday Posts, go to the sidebar on the left and scroll down until you get to this photo of my Dad and me for the list.  Make sure to visit my friends and read their cool stories over at Sepia Saturday.


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.  Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

12 comments:

Kristin said...

I like the casualness of this photo. It looks like there is a story there.

Tattered and Lost said...

That is a fascinating and wonderful photo. I agree with Kristin that there's an interesting story to be told about these three people.

Bob Scotney said...

Whatever happened to the men who ran shoeshine businesses? I can't remember the last time I saw one. Do they still operate in US cities?

Arkansas Patti said...

Love the pic of you and your Dad. I have on like it with my father that is treasured.

Postcardy said...

That's a nice photo. I never see anyone shining shoes on the street here. There must be a law against it.

Little Nell said...

We could do with one of those here - our shoes get so dusty!

North County Film Club said...

I think it's kind of unusual for a female to have her shoes shined. Seems like such a male kind of thing.
Bob, the only place in the u.s. I've seen shoe shine stands is at airports.
Nancy

Linda@VS said...

What a great photo! I'd love to know where this was taken, wouldn't you?

Anonymous said...

I have seen shoe shines in hotels too. I got my boots shined once in a bar. :-) This is a great photo. I love in the background how you can see the blousy knickers the boys are wearing.

Also, I have meant to tell you for ages that I love the thread display in your header! Oh, sigh....I love thread. And buttons. :-)

Alan Burnett said...

Sepia Saturday posts, like shoes, should come in pairs.

Joy said...

I do love a bit of serendipity. Evocative photo.

Wendy said...

Perfect timing! I was in Mexico this weekend and saw a shoeshine guy buffing up a man's tennis shoes.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":