Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Book Blurb Friday #32 and #31: The Sasquatch Chronicles and Tambina Island

This week I have two stories, because I didn't get last week's done on time.  On Fridays, my friend Lisa Richard Claro gives us a picture prompt and 150 words of our choice to make up a book blurb to encourage buyers to get our books.  I have actually not written more than 150 words toward any of my stories yet, but I am thinking about it.  I worked hard on these two, but they don't seem to really flow.  I'll chock them up as practice.  The first picture is one that I took: 


The Sasquatch Chronicles

In the 1970's, at the base of Paulina Peak in Central Oregon, there was a little green a-frame. Ted and Lisa had recently acquired the cabin, and were looking forward to enjoying their first winter there snowmobiling and skiing.

One evening, as Ted was stacking wood, he looked up and noticed the sky.  It was beautiful, sure, but also rather spooky.  A large bird was hovering overhead, and the clouds seemed to be full of faces.  It was as if a rift had opened up overhead to show an entire other dimension. 

Suddenly, a huge crash in the forest accompanied by a lousy smell made Ted jump and drop his armful of wood.  As he looked toward the sound, Ted froze.  Standing a mere fifty feet away was Bigfoot. 

This true story chronicles how the young couple learns to co-exist with Sasquatch over the next decade near Sunriver, Oregon. (149) 

Note:  The setting and the green a-frame are real.  During the 70's and 80's there were several Bigfoot sightings around here, but I haven't heard much about that lately.  I took this picture this summer during our thunderstorm season when the forest fire smoke was thick.  It does look a bit spooky to me!  If you would like a tour of the a-frame, please "CLICK HERE".

Thank you to Anyes at Far Away in the Sunshine for this beautiful picture:


 Tambina Island

Carol held the old postcard in her hand, studying it carefully.  She was due to be released from prison in sixteen days and when she is, Carol will be heading to Tambina Island to begin her new life. 

During her 20-year-sentence, much had changed.  Her mom had died, and had left her $50,000.  Carol had changed the most of all.  She was definitely no longer the 17-year-old girl with addiction issues; the person who had wiped out a family of five while driving under the influence.

Though she would never forgive herself, Carol had overcome most of her obstacles.  Determined to give back and atone for her mistakes, Carol couldn't wait to be living on the island and beginning her dream of opening an orphanage for tsunami victims. 

After being cooped up for 20 years, living far away in the sunshine sounded mighty nice right now.  (146)


I am participating in Lisa's Book Blurb Friday, from over at Writing in the Buff.   It is fun, and you can play too!  Pretend that the pictures above are the cover of a book.  On the inside jacket, you have 150 words to entice the reader to buy your book.  Lisa gives us a week to think about next week's entry (she's gracious like that).  Please CLICK HERE  to read what everybody else wrote!



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

10 comments:

S K Ditta said...

Hi Kathy M, first of all, thanks for an excellent picture to be used for the Book Blurb.

I like your simple style of writing. It sounds like you are talking to the reader in everyday language. That's good. Thank you!

Lynn said...

Your Sasquatch Chronicles sound very intriguing, would love to hear more. The picture you provided is gorgeous, I don't think of it as being spooky at all!

Cildemer said...

Very nice shots! Love the first one!
Thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment;o)

***
Have a nice and happy weekend****

Tammy said...

Beautiful picture and wonderful blurbs! I'm a sucker for all things Sasquatch, so I'd buy that one for sure. And I love that fresh-from-prison twist in the second one. Very clever.

Grammy Goodwill said...

Let me be clear - you wrote both of those, right? I would read those books, if you ever finish them.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Great blurbs, both. The first caught me by surprise with the Bigfoot sighting. I guess I've got romance on the brain tonight--I'm seeing it in practically all the blurbs. LOL Anway, the Sasquatch angle is a great hook. The second seems to be a lovely character study in redemption. Please tell me there's a good romance in there somewhere! :)

Arkansas Patti said...

I would probably buy the Sasquatch book. We had a similar creature in Florida called the Skunk Ape. I guess he really smelled.

Hootin Anni said...

Love 'em both, but I must admit the Sasquatch Chronicles is my favorite of the two.

Cooler Days Ahead

Grandma's Goulash said...

I loved your photo and the Bigfoot story fits perfectly.

Your second blurb was superb. This would make an inspirational and compelling story and I'd be first in line to buy it.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, everybody. Yep, I wrote both of these blurbs; but only took one of the pictures.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":