Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Dreaded Scotch Broom:

My Grandma T. hated, really, really hated Scotch Broom.  She said, "It's taking over the valley."  Whenever she saw it on a distant hill, she would just say, "That damn Scotch Broom.  It doesn't belong there.  It is a weed." 

Grandma T. died nearly 11 years ago, and she would seriously be upset about how much of it there is now.  The Scotch Broom really jumped out at me this past weekend when we were doing the cemetery hop.  It is all over the place in the Willamette Valley. 

“Some people may look at the golden hillsides resulting from Scotch broom and think it’s a pretty wildflower that belongs in (the Pacific Northwest). That’s the farthest thing from the truth. Scotch broom costs the state of Oregon about $47 million each year by its impact on natural resources, particularly on timber production.”


Tim Butler, supervisor for the Oregon, Department of Agriculture’s Noxious Weed Program 


Source: Broombusters.org (please click here for tons of info and more links about Scotch Broom).



Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
True, the bright yellow color is cheerful and friendly.



 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
But, it takes over whatever is in it's path.  It truly is invasive.  I took these pictures at the Analauf/Compton cemetery near Curtain, Oregon.



 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

The photo below was taken at the Yoncalla Cemetery.  The Scotch broom is right outside of it, on the neighboring property:


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

And, this is the worse to me, it is right inside the small graveyard on top of the knoll at the tree farm in Hardscrabble.  Right there!  Boy would Grandma T. be annoyed at the nerve of it.  If we don't spend time getting rid of it, it will eventually consume that little cemetery.  Hopefully the people that live there and operate the tree farm will remove it, or their trees could be at risk, I would think.




See the pretty red plant?  Poison Oak.  It isn't only ghosts that we have to watch out for anymore, I guess.



Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

The Scotch broom is back a bit behind the girls in orange.




You can see it across the road from the barn here.  Please do what you can to help remove this obnoxious weed if you come across it.  The links at the top of this page will let you know just how you can help.  It usually needs to be dug out, because it contains a creosote type of substance that makes burning it yucky.

~ Kathy Matthews




If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

5 comments:

Jessa said...

Just north of you in WA we battle the scotch broom constantly too! I posted once about it and had someone from another country complementing me on my lovely scotch broom, and about how she wished she could get it to grow. lol. Here they tax you if you have it growing in your yard. Would be interesting to know how much is spent on battling it here though. You Grandma T sounds adorable.

Reflections said...

Isn't it funny how gloriously beautiful these nasty weeds can appear. So welcoming and vibrant to a gloomy day...

Arkansas Patti said...

I have never heard of Scotch Broom. Too bad it is invasive for it is a pretty plant.
Buttercups are taking over Arkansas.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Jessa Irene! I've been thinking about you a lot. Wow, they tax you on it? Bummer. Grandma was a character ... 1/2 Letsom (gentle) and 1/2 Hedrick (stubborn)!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Petrina, I know, it is such a cheerful yellow.

Patti, buttercups? At least you can mow them down with your average lawn mower though. :>)

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":