Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Boys on Ladders:





Today, I am going to do a quick post for Sepia Saturday.  The prompt picture shows messenger boys in hats with their bicycles, at their job.  I have decided to share a photo out of the "Douglas County Cooks" Cookbook showing a group of boys wearing hats as they work in a pear orchard.  I don't know these folks, though it is possible that I would recognize some their names if they were listed.  Drain, Tin Pot Valley and Yoncalla are also located in Douglas County.  I just liked the picture, and hope that you will too:


Source:  "Douglas County Cooks"

So, there you are, my friends.  If you enjoyed this story, please visit my Sepia Saturday friends by "CLICKING HERE" to find other neat photos and stories. To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more, please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar to read whatever else catches your fancy.  Thanks so much for visiting! 

~ Kathy M.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews



Check us out on Facebook!




At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

17 comments:

Lovely's Blot said...

Nice pic.. Thanks

Tonja Drecker said...

Wonderful pictures and so interesting.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

What a great photo. I can really relate to it as our grove looks something like this when we have our avocados picked. Our ladders are higher and most of the pickers are Mexican so we have great mariachi music wafting through the trees on picking days. Even though it's hard work, the mood is festive.

Peter said...

I see more ladders than pear trees...

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

You always find the coolest pictures!

Postcardy said...

Nice picture. There sure are a lot of pickers in a small space. I have recently been collecting postcards of picking and harvesting, but I haven't found any with pears yet.

Linda Reeder said...

that is a great photo, especially if you had happened to have a family member in it.

Brett Payne said...

Having owned a small orchard in the past, and having picked fruit from very similar ladders, I like that photograph too. A great choice, thank you.

Eugenia O'Neal said...

Lovely photo! The orchard looks as if it was positively bristling with ladders!

tony said...

I looks so leisurely in this fine photo, but I bet It Could Be Back -Breaking Work At Times.

Bob Scotney said...

Great photo, Kathy. Will see you on A-Z

Wendy said...

I bet that's what a typical day in the orchard was like. My husband grew up surrounded by apple and peach orchards, and the place was never so alive as pickin' time. I would love to own an orchard ladder just for the heck of it.

Joan said...

Our southern Oregon orchards used to have the same sprouting of ladders --- but now the trees are pruned so that there is little or no need of ladders. Efficient, but no so pleasing to the eye.

21 Wits said...

Kathy this was very cool, and I did enjoy that photo. I can just hear some say bring your ladders in boys so we can take a group photo!

Boobook said...

Wow. So labour intensive.
But what photo are you going to use when the SS theme is ladders :)

Alan Burnett said...

That is a classic photograph Kathy. Somehow - even in this age of camera phones and digital cameras - you would never get a picture like that taken today.

Bruno Laliberté said...

A delightful selection for this week. Takes coordination not to cause a pile up of ladders, me thinks...
:D~
HUGZ

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":