Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Monday, July 2, 2012

"The Saggy Baggy Elephant"





I know that I am way early, for  Sepia Saturday, but I plan on having three posts for it this week.  There will be this one, some vintage Texas postcards, and a Tin Pot Valley story having to do with an elephant.  If all works out, we will be camping on Thursday, so I figure it is best to get this week's blog posts up as I finish them.  I have a sneaky feeling that Jimmy and Samantha are going to have their baby though, and we'll need to stick around for work.  I am not convinced that we will ever get to use our new 5th wheel, lol.

This week's Sepia Saturday theme has to do with elephants.  I have another post this week also, but here is a fun one about the children's book, "The Saggy Baggy Elephant".   A Little Golden Book, it was published in 1947 by Kathryn and Byron Jackson and illustrated by Gustaf Tenggren.  This one is my daughter Kristin's copy, and it was reprinted in 1982.  

I got to wondering about the people who wrote and illustrated this sweet book.  Gustaf Tenggren came to the states from Sweden in 1920.  Working for awhile as the head illustrator for the Walt Disney Company, he worked on Pinocchio and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.  He worked for Golden Books after that, and died in 1970.  

I am having a harder time finding out information about the Jacksons, except that they were prolific writers for Golden books. They wrote hundreds of books, poems and stories for the company.

You can click on the pictures below to make them bigger for easier reading.  I came away with two main themes from this story:  love the skin your in, and reconnect with your tribe.  What message did you get?

















So, there you are, my friends.  If you enjoyed this story, please visit my Sepia Saturday friends by "CLICKING HERE" to find other neat photos and stories.  To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more, please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar and read whatever else catches your fancy.  Thanks so much for visiting!


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

13 comments:

nutschell said...

a lovely story! loved the illustrations as well. thanks for sharing :)
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Hart Johnson said...

So funny-I recognize ALL those illustrations but not the story even a little bit. I have no clue why that would be, though some of them, I think Little Golden Books used for their imprint trademark--maybe it was an early success for them.

Little Nell said...

What a well-written and charmingly illustrated little book. Now, did that page where he was trying to pull up his skin remind us of a familiar pose we strike when checking our behinds in the mirror?

Wendy said...

I recognized the title right away but didn't really remember the story. Pretty little book ~

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Friends! It is a neat book, isn't it. I'm glad that I remembered that we still have it. I like the story and the pictures both.

Kathy

North County Film Club said...

Hi Kathy,
What a cute book. I don't think I've ever read this one.
I collect old children's books, but I don't have that one in my collection.
Nancy

Postcardy said...

The little elephant is cute, but my favorite illustration is the hungry lion.

Kristin said...

I still have this book around here somewhere.

Sharon said...

I really enjoyed this post as it took me back to my childhood. I owned "The Saggy Baggy Elephant" Golden Book. I now regret that I sold my Golden Books in a garage sale when moving house a number of years ago.

Bob Scotney said...

Ideal for small children with marvelous illustrations.

Jana Iverson Last said...

Very cute story! I don't recognize this story, but we do have a couple other Golden Books in our bookcase from when our kids were younger.

Unknown said...

The illustrations are magnificent. Golden Books were all over our house when our kiddos were small. Love them.
QMM

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Long before I turned into a saggy, baggy blogger, I read this delightful story to my niece and nephew - but we didn't have such a beautifully illustrated copy. Great post.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":