Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Dream of Eugene: History Lesson on the Sidewalk

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

"Eugene City"

 Source: Rootsweb Ancestry.com

On the sidewalk outside the main entrance of the Fifth Street Market  (near the mural), there is a plaque inserted into the brick sidewalk.  The plaque gives us a quick history lesson of how the City of Eugene began.  I took some pictures of it in December, and am finally getting a blog post written about it by adding some old pictures and some links for you.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 "In April of 1852, Eugene Skinner and Judge Risdon established a meridian line from which to survey an plat a town site, which was located east of Skinner's Butte.

The orginal plat was bounded by Water Street (along the river) to the north, Pearl Street to the west, and Eight Avenue on the south.  The alley east of Ferry Street formed the eastern boundary.  Mary Skinner was given the honor of naming the town, calling it Eugene City, after her husband.

James Huddleston's general store was one of the first structures in the original plat of Eugene City, initially located in a lean-to next to Skinner's Cabin.  The store was moved to the northern end of the plat near Skinner's ferry landing in the early 1850's.  Shortly after the establishment of Lane County in 1851 a county commission and a county clerk were appointed, and only two years later, in 1853, Eugene City became the Lane County Seat."

Eugene Skinner, Source: Rootsweb Ancestry.com

Mary Skinner, Source: Rootsweb Ancestry.com


The photo below was taken years later, in 1912, but it is of the same area described in the plat map above:


I have spent a lot of time trying to find photos of Judge D. M. Ridson, and of James Huddleston and his store, but didn't come up with anything.  I'll add them to this post if I do find any.  I found lots of other cool stuff, but they don't belong in this post!

See you soon,

~ Kathy M. 

Update:  I found an article in The Lane County Historian that tells about where the original Skinner Cabin was located.  Please "CLICK HERE" to check it out.

Links:

Rootsweb Ancestery.com


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.  Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

3 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, how fun! I lived in Eugene for 4 years, so I love seeing this little bit of history. SO DIFFERENT from the pavement and such.

Donna Volkenannt said...

I love history. I've never been to Eugene, but after reading your post I feel enlightened.
Donna V.

tony said...

The World At Your Feet!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":