Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

More of Jimmy Ellis and Other Cool Vintage Things:

I am combining a couple of posts here, because some people have seen some of these photos, but not all of them, and I think that they are kind of cool.  I just didn't want anybody to miss out!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
This is my weekly post to The Colorado Lady Suzanne's Vintage Thingie Thursday, and also to Sepia Saturday.  Just in case some of you ladies were after something a bit more ladylike, please click here to go to my post of last Saturday; I know that you will enjoy it: Sewing Teapot, Thread Caddy and Grandma J.



Okay, do you remember my best friend husband Cary's Grandpa Jimmy?  If you don't, please click here to read about my post with him and NASCAR driver Bob Ross: NASCAR Driver Bob Ross
I know that you Sepia Saturday folks will really enjoy that post.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Here are a few of Grandpa Jimmy's things:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Grandpa Jimmy died several years before I arrived to become part of the Matthews family.  I really wish that I could have gotten to know him.  Jimmy Ellis had a great sense of humor, loved to fish, and led a very adventurous life.   For instance, he worked on production oil rigs in places such as Singapore and Indonesia.  Here is his field manual from that time:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Jimmy took the photo of this oil rig when he was working in  Indonesia in 1970:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

He was a member of the AOSC:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Grandpa Jimmy was also a  jokester.  Among his things was this gag gift that from The Leister Game Co., Inc., Toledo 4, Ohio, Copyright 1962, No. 61-128, Made in U.S.A.:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I covered up the places that might insult anybody, but I thought this whole gag gift was kind of interesting.  

The apples say:

"Easy to clean ... needs little or no ironing"

"You can dance all night in your Adam original"

and 
 
"Have fun in this exciting Adam creation"


I just looked up The Leister Game Co., and they are still in business.  Here is a blurb from their website:


"Leister Game Company was first started by Reginald S. Leister in the basement of his home in 1933.  He created Unique Golfer Novelties that are World Famous for over 75 years & some of the Funniest Novelty Gag Gifts Ever ! ! ! ! !"  


Well, there you go for a blast to the not so distant past. I hope that you enjoyed it. 

Please click here to go to Sepia Saturday: 
Sepia Saturday




If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

11 comments:

Donnie said...

What interesting photos and he does sound like a cool guy. Loved that retro gag gift...lol...

LV said...

What a wonderful vintage post today. I enjoyed seeing and hearing all about each thing. I never saw so many spools of thread except in a store. Job well done!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, Donnie and LV. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It took me a while. Is Blogger being slow for anybody else but me?

Coloradolady said...

Wow, what a great post. I am glad you linked in today and offer such great vintage goodies!! I love the photos...those were great. Happy VTT!

Christine H. said...

Jimmy looks like he was a fun guy with a great sense of humor...and a nice collection of memorabilia. And imagine working on oil rigs in Singapore!

Bob Scotney said...

I've seen a few oil rigs like that but from the 1980s and 90s in the North Sea.
I believe I've see a set of the 'underwear' give an I seem to remember that some were edible. Allegedly!

Unknown said...

Nice tribute to Grandpa showing his humor as well! I saw similar underwear items when we cleaned out my Mom's house but tossed them as they belonged to her 2nd husband, and no one wanted them. His oil manual and rig photos are very intersting. Historical I think.

Postcardy said...

The designer's name didn't mean anything to me until I saw the inside of the gift.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thanks for stopping by everybody, and for leaving your thoughtful comments. I'm so happy that you enjoyed this post. Now, I'm off to visit each of you.

God bless, and have a wonderful week!

Tattered and Lost said...

I don't know if they make these sort of silly gag gifts anymore. They are probably for sale somewhere, but not around here. Last time I remember seeing a bunch of them was in a Stuckey's alongside a freeway in Georgia. The place was full of junk, but then I was only in there to buy the pralines. I do recall my folks having a variety of joke items that were brought out for parties in the '50s. Still have some of those around here. Thanks for the reminder of those oddities.

Alan Burnett said...

I know I am late, but nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed the post.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":