Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Recent Reads:



I was so excited to receive "Thin Threads" in the mail yesterday, autographed by my friend Becky Povich!   Becky has a story included in the book that tells about a faithful single mother named Tara and her big time struggles after Katrina demolished her family's home in Mississippi.  Becky did a wonderful job of writing in this book.  I look forward to reading the rest of the other stories.

If you click on Becky's blog link above, you can purchase an autographed copy of this book, and Becky will donate $5.00 per book towards Habitat for Humanity.  That is how I got my awesome copy!







Other books that I have read during the past month include two books by Anne Tyler.  The first was St. Maybe.  It is about a young man and his parents who raise the orphans of their brother and his wife (they are really her kids, not his).  Ian drops out of college to help his parents with the children, and the story covers a 20 year period of time.  


The second Anne Tyler book that I read was The Clockwinder, a book about the eccentric Emerson family and their handyman Elizabeth, and how their lives intertwine.  


Every few years I enjoy re-reading several Anne Tyler books.  She has written a lot of books, and they are all about the ins and outs of families.  I always come away thinking, well, everybody has somebody a little odd in their own family ... and others have folks that are very odd.  The individuals make up the family, and the  world wouldn't be the same without any of them.  Neither would the particular family that Anne describes to us.


The other book that I read is an autobiography by Lizzie Simon named Detour, written in 2000.  It is about her own experiences with being bipolar, and her project that took her cross country to interview others with the disorder.  This is an easy, interesting and sometimes entertaining book that is very honest and refreshing.  

So, there you go.  I am currently reading a fast going detective murder mystery called Moon Music by Faye Kellerman for a change of pace.  The lady at the bookstore enjoys the books by Kellerman and her husband, and I have to say that so far I am having fun; even though there is some pretty gory stuff in this particular book.


Which books have you guys been reading lately?


I hope that you have a great week!


~ Kathy

5 comments:

BECKY said...

Oh, thanks, Kathy! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story!

Pamela said...

I'm reading NOTHING! Family is more important than my reading cravings. After 4:00 the last company will be gone and I plan to hit my chair reading. :-) Not that I didn't enjoy them.

I just ordered Detour for a penny plus shipping. Gotta love Amazon. I know several people with Bipolar and thought it might give me insight in their feelings and disappointment of life. Thanks for suggesting it.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Becky,

You are very welcome, and I did!


Hi Pamela,

I really think that you will enjoy Detour. Ten years ago, when Lizzie wrote her book, there wasn't very much out there on the topic. I'm glad that you will have a chance to put your feet up and read once again! Reading is how I relax too.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Hey Kathy - I received a Kindle for Christmas, and I've downloaded several freebies, one of which is Mossy Creek, written by six female authors, one of whom is Deborah Smith, a favorite of mine. Not sure what I'll tackle next. :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Lisa, well, lucky you! I'll keep a look out for Mossy Creek and Deborah Smith now.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":