Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

"Camping In The 1940's" - Sepia Saturday #92

This week's Sepia Saturday theme is more-or-less travel.  Alan's photo is of an old train station.  I chose to do my piece on traveling with a trailer and going camping.

Up until now, I have been able to identify the people in my Sepia Saturday posts, but not today (or not so far).  These photos came from the same photo album that last week's Guam photos are in.  They were my late father-in-law's, Troy Matthews.  This group of camping photos was in the section labeled 1946, though they may have been taken a couple of years after that.  Cary didn't recognize them as any of his relatives, though my mother-in-law probably does know who they are.  I still think that they are neat, and hope that you enjoy them.

On the back of one of the pictures, the only one with writing on it, it says, "Do you know who we are?"  Nope!  But it looks as if you guys are having a great time camping in the desert, someplace in America. 

Christine H. left a comment that she thinks these were taken in Joshua Tree National Park.  Thanks, Christine!  Here is a link to begin learning more about that place: Joshua Tree National Park, California   Also, the trailer very well could be a 1946 Ken-skill Teardrop.  To learn more about one being rebuilt, and viewing how the inside is set up, please check out this link: "BY CLICKING HERE".

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Here is the happy group of campers.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Pretty snazzy little trailer, you guys.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
It is all set up now, for one of the couples.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
The guns are ready to go, just in case.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Settling down for a sip of coffee.  Or maybe a sip of whiskey?  
It is camping, after all.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

These guys have their tent set up.  
I'm guessing that they are the ones with the kids.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

A close-up view of these handsome peeps.  I like the cowboy.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 There was a cabin on site...

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
 and, an outhouse!

Well, I don't know what happened to my well thought out ending to this post, but it is gone.  Thanks for coming by to visit!


This is a Sepia Saturday post.  To see more really cool old photos from around the world, and to learn their history, please "CLICK HERE".  You are very welcome to join in and post your own too.  This group of people is very interactive, and if you love history, you'll love Sepia Saturday!  I sure do.



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

18 comments:

Donnie said...

Those photos were very interesting and I love how they looked like they were having a lot of fun too.

Little Nell said...

That little trailer is unusual. They certainly seem a happy bunch of people.

Christine H. said...

That looks like it's Joshua Tree National Park. What a great looking group of people. I'd happily claim them as my relatives and give them some made-up names.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I've never seen a trailer like that at all, or one so small. The tent was more spacious. They look as though they had great fun!

Liz Stratton said...

Oh I love that cowboy hat and the rolled up jeans. That sequence of photos really in intriguing!

Bob Scotney said...

The trailer looks as if it would be abit of a squeeze to use. Perhaps that added to the fun. Entertaining group of photos - whoever they were.

Alan Burnett said...

I love that little caravan - I could happily go on holiday with one of those. And almost as much, I love the message on the back of the photograph - I must use that line myself to puzzle future generations who inherit my photographs.

Unknown said...

I love these pics! I have a bunch of sepia photos and tin-types in my family's Great Box of Unknown Pictures. We have no idea who most of them are, but it's cool looking at pics from the early 1900's. I give them labels like "Man in suit, 1905." :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Donnie, I really enjoyed their happiness too.

Little Nell, I did a tiny bit of research last night and found a link about the trailer and added it to this post. It is most likely a 1946 Ken-skill Teardrop.

Christine, thank you for your insight! I bet that you are right. I put a link to that place into the post ... it does look like it.

Sheila, it sure was a tiny little thing. The photos that I found show a kitchen and storage in the back and a bed in the front. A cozy little fort!

Liz, I loved those too!

Bob, yep. Now I just need to figure out who they were. They were probably friends of Troy and Darlene.

Alan ... that is funny, what they wrote, isn't it. Little did they know that someday their little trip would be featured by a stranger on the internet.

Melissa, then you are blessed! I'm lucky to have had the chance to borrow photo albums from both sides of the family for scanning purposes.

Thanks so much for stopping by, you guys!

Kathy M.

Kim, USA said...

Those were the days. Why we need big one anyway, hahaha!!

Brett Payne said...

I had the impression that to North Americans camping involves a huge trailer or winnebago (not words we would use, our equivalents are caravan and campervan), but this has to be the smallest I've ever seen. That's my style, I think, but hard to manage with a large family.

Tattered and Lost said...

I love Teardrop trailers. Very collectible and you can still find them in campgrounds. Huell Howser did an entire episode about them which might be available online.

Great photos.

Postcardy said...

I think I would get claustrophobia in one of those trailers unless I got a heatstroke first.

Unknown said...

Sure does not look comfortable for dessert camping, too hot and confined. Yes that is a Joshua tree, but who knows where. The first photo where the campers all stood in line is cute. This is a historical look back at camping and makes me ever so much more appreciate our motor home! Those times portrayed here were not good old days!

Kristin said...

I'm just glad the whole bunch didn't try to squeeze into that tiny trailer.

Anonymous said...

What a fun group! I live out the way of the photos, Joshua trees are normal out here, so its nice to see my neck of the woods in someones blog. I just wonder how hot it was, and well, its dirty and dusty out in the desert, I like how the ladies hair is all curled and nice, wonder how she kept it up so well out camping in the dirt and dust? :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Kim, exactly!

Brett, maybe these were the babies that grew up into those modern day huge ones. I think the best part is how the tailgate opens up into a kitchen. You can toss your tent and sleeping bags on the bed and then set up when you get to camp to make more sleeping room for everybody.

T&L ... I'll check that out, thanks! I think they are cool too.

Postcardy ... it seems as if you would only really be inside for going to sleep; but if small spaces get to you, this sure is one, isn't it?

Pat, I know, camping has changed for those who have RV's. We always just used tents, but I'm too old for that now.

Kristin, ha! I imagine a picture of everybody crammed into a VW bug or a phone booth.

Save, thanks so much for stopping by! I don't think that I have ever seen a Joshua tree in person ... I haven't really been to that area, except for Bullhead City, AZ ... is that kind of where this is?

I appreciate all of your comments very much, and will be by to visit if I haven't already.

Kathy M.

Mike Brubaker said...

A great collection of vacation snaps! Considering this was a time that America did not have the interstate system or many travel facilities, and most cross-country travel was by train, this was REALLY roughing it.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":