Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sepia Saturday: Living on the Trinity River in the 1950's



Please respect that all the photos and text on this blog are copyrighted.  These photos are family treasures, and I'd sure hate to see them show up elsewhere.  All rights are reserved.




Once upon a time, around 60 years ago,  my in-laws, Troy and Darlene, decided to move to Northern California with their young sons, Cary and Larry.  They had some family in Sayler, and made some very wonderful friends.  It was a small, tight knit community.  Troy logged, and sometimes Darlene drove the bulldozer for him.  They had a very small travel trailer and added on a living room with bunk beds for the boys to sleep in.  An outhouse in the back, and a garden hose for running water, they kept moving forward.  Having the only small t.v. (black and white of course) for miles around, their neighbors would stop by to watch t.v. and eat popcorn as they visited.  


Both slide shows are of those times.  Hopefully, we will get to visit Salyer this summer, and then I'll get a lot more photos. 


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

The Trinity River

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
The kids took their baths in those large bowls.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Cary has the big smile, second from the end on the log.


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Cary is the first one on the log (from the left).  
They all look like they are in trouble to me!


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Much happier here.  Cary is at the very end.  He's so cute.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
This dump truck was made from the logging truck below.  When they moved back down to So. California, Troy used the dump truck to haul dirt and helped create the Matterhorn ride at Disneyland.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Troy and his log truck.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
The baby, Ricky, hands the purse to Darlene and Frances.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Troy was the best at this job!


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Everybody will get some yummy deer meat.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Cary pets the baby deer.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Darlene and the baby deer.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
 Troy and Darlene ~  Cary and Larry








There is not too much information about Salyer, California on the internet.  I did find these photos though:

Source: Bing

 Source:  Bing

The area of Willow Creek and Salyer is pretty famous for Bigfoot sightings, come to find out.  From what I read yesterday, the profits from the little store below go to fund the Bigfoot Research Project.

 Source: Bing ~ Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


I bet they sell this book there.  Here is a link to a review of the book and more info about Bigfoot: Bigfoot Encounters

Source:  Bigfoot Encounters

There is a bed and breakfast there, if you go to visit and need a place to stay.  


Please check out their website for more info: 


I am entering this into Sepia Saturday.  For lots of other cool old photos, please go and visit the others who have participated this week, after you are done here at Oregon Gifts.




If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.


25 comments:

liberal sprinkles said...

wow the photos are incredible. I love old photos, they tell so much! And the kids are so cute!

xinex said...

Pretty neat photos! What a treasure to have those old pictures. Thanks for sharing!...Christine

KathyB. said...

So much of what you post reminds me of my family history which takes place in the Klamath Falls, Oregon area. Your pictures show a happy family working hard to provide for themselves but taking time to have fun too.

Your post about Bigfoot is another whole story I have about my husband and the tall tales he told about his relationship to Bigfoot. But that is another story for another time and not to take away from the interesting things you have written about in this post I have thoroughly enjoyed, thank-you.

Bob Scotney said...

Great family collection. I love to see the scenery too even if there is no Bigfoot. Those old trucks must have earned their keep.

Donnie said...

That was wonderful and like sitting in your living room watching old 8 mm movies and eating popcorn. Great post.

Postcardy said...

Those are really great snapshots. I noticed an interesting effect on some of the photos in the slide show. When the picture was zooming, it looked like the lips on the people were moving as though they were talking!

Arkansas Patti said...

How wonderful that you have such an great record for family history. You are right, Cary was a real cutie.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

I love your comments, everybody ... I am happy to know that you are enjoying these Sepia posts. I'll be by to see you soon, if I haven't already.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Fascinating! I couldn't help but compare the bridge you show in this post to the modern bridges your son-in-law inspects. Quite a difference.

Loved the old photos!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Kathy B., your husband's Bigfoot stories would be very interesting to read about some day!

Thanks, Pat ... wood vs cocnrete ... I think I would feel a bit safter after 50 years on a concrete bridge!

Unknown said...

That was a wonderful post. Our kids used to swim in the Salt River in Ky. and my husband would warn me to watch with a close eye in case the river came down from above us. Those are great photos.
QMM

Betsy Brock said...

Oh my goodness! What a fun bunch of pictures! That river must have been so fun for those kids!

Laughing at that one picture...yep, looks like a time-out to me! lol

Carey is so cute...that big smile!

thanks for sharing...so fun!

Alan Burnett said...

What a feast of photographs. And thanks so much for the map, I always like it when I know where I am looking at as well as what I am looking at. I really got a feel of the place from your post.

Martin said...

What a super post. Troy and Darlene are a handsome couple in these photographs. How wonderful that you have them to cherish.

Howard said...

A lovely set of photographs

Tattered and Lost said...

Passed through Salyer two years ago on my way to Weaverville. A very beautiful ride. That must have been amazing to live there back in the 50s. Very interersting photos.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, everybody, for visiting and leaving your comments.

I thought that the river looked warm and fun to swim in too. I sure hope that we get to go and visit this summer.

MuseSwings said...

These are really wonderful photos! All their hard work - yet they are obviously all quite happy and thriving in that beautiful place!

Nancy said...

Your photographs transported me to a different time, a different place, where time didn't race by so fast and people enjoyed simple pleasures. What a treat!

Christine H. said...

What a heavenly place for kids to grow up and you've got great pictures to prove it.

21 Wits said...

Wow! I took it all in, the stories and photos were so very cool...they were all a bunch of cute kids...and they looked like they enjoyed being together too! Nice Bigfoot entry too...that tale is always fun to hear about...the map was great too! It's beautiful country out there!

Anonymous said...

OMG Kathy! Cracks me up when I see pictures of my Dad- I totally see Johnny! Great pics! Shanna

Marilyn & Jeff said...

You have a wonderful collection of photos showing life gone by. The children are all gorgeous and their parents very handsome. A lovely post.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hey, Shanna ... they are both little boy dolls, lol! Thanks for coming over to visit.

Hi Marilyn, thanks so much.

L. D. said...

These are all great photos and the I liked to hear about the history.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":