Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, April 22, 2011

April's A -Z Challenge and Sepia Saturday #71: Easter, and The Letter "T" is for Twins

This is a Sepia Saturday post.  When you are all through here, please see
other cool history photos by CLICKING HERE.


Source: Victorian Cards.com


Cary's First Easter ~ 1948 
Darlene, Cary and Troy:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


The Letter "T" is for Twins:
This Sepia Satuday post brings us back to my father-in-law, Troy.  Troy, gone now, was born in La Mesa, Texas in 1926.  Troy was a twin.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews





Troy and his twin brother, Roy, were found on the steps of the church as newborns, and were raised by Nellie Goode.  Not ever hearing that story until Roy had died and Troy was in his 50's, Nellie was always their mom, and a really good one to boot.  Her husband, Mr. Matthews, was very bad man. Nellie took the babies and left him when they were very young, moving from Texas to Southern California prior to 1930.



Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

At that time, beach front property was being sold for .50 an acre, but nobody wanted to buy it.  Everybody knows that you can't grow crops on sand!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

At "The Pike" in Long Beach

I looked up "The Pike" and oh, my gosh ... talk about the perfect Sepia Saturday find!  Please click on the following link to read all about it's history and see lots of great pictures from 1902 - 1979:  History of The Pike.


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews



Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

There were some fields, but they were made of oil. 


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

The twins, Troy and Roy, grew up to be very handsome, hardworking and industrious young men.  They led successful lives and were looked up to by many.  It doesn't get much better than that!

For more Sepia Saturday posts about Troy and The Matthews Family, please look over to your left on the side bar under the Sepia Saturday posts and find their name.  (Near the top, under the old picture of my Dad holding me.) There is a lot of interesting information and cool old photos from both sides of our family there. 

Thanks so much for stopping by, and we wish you a wonderful Easter; from our house to yours.  God bless!



Today is the twenthieth day of the A - Z Challenge, which is hosted by  Arlee Bird's: Tossing It Out.   Several of my blogging friends are participating, and this year there are over 1,200 participants. We post everyday, except for Sundays, and work our way through the alphabet. I am posting past photos that I have taken, and am linking them up to the posts where the photos originated from too. When you are all done here at Oregon Gifts,  please click here to visit the other bloggers who are participating in this challenge. 


If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

13 comments:

Tattered and Lost said...

Wonderful story. With such inauspicious beginnings it's nice to know how good their lives were.

Arkansas Patti said...

Just goes to show that nurture over comes nature most often. Love those pictures and what a positive story. Nellie was an amazing woman.

Pat Wahler said...

I love, love, love your photos! And I think you could weave all that history into a wonderful story!

Happy Easter!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Brett Payne said...

That's the most amazing series of photographs, Kathy, and quite a Steinbeck-esque story. Thanks for sharing it.

jabblog said...

What a heartwarming story and what handsome young men they were.

Little Nell said...

A wonderful set of pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Postcardy said...

the twins photos are great. There have been quite a few twins in my family, but I am not one of them.

Christine H. said...

I can only guess that it was with a heavy heart that the mother of those boys dropped them off. Anyway, this post was an incredible treat - some amazing photos. Are all of those Easter baskets for Cary?

MuseSwings said...

Amazing story! I thought I was seeing double for a minute there. As I scrolled through the pictures and saw those handsome boys growing up I thought uh, oh as 1942 passed by. Just as I expected, there they were in their service uniforms. It's apparent from their smiles throughout that they were loved and well taken care of!

Jeff Beesler said...

Awesome pictures. I've only now come across family members on Facebook with photos of my family members that I had no idea existed. It's a great way for one to discover one's past. Thanks for sharing, and it's a pleasure to meet you via the A-Z Challenge!

Bruno Laliberté said...

love the story, love the pictures. commendable to see some folks rise up to the occasion.
:)~
HUGZ

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Wow. Nellie Goode. . .what a great name! And the price of the beach property. Holy cow! The photos are great. Thanks for posting.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, everybody, for your comments. I'm happy that you enjoyed this week's Sepia Saturday. Nellie was awesome; I wished that I could have known her. I didn't know Roy either, he died rather young, in his 40's. Troy was a great man and I was honored to know him. He died a few years ago, and was in his 80's. We sure do miss him around here. He sure did have lots of adventures, and thankfully Cary's family was good about taking pictures, on both sides of the family.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":