Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sepia Saturday #91 : Every Picture Tells a Story in WWII Guam



This week's Sepia Saturday theme is more or less to choose a picture that is worth a thousand words (or somebody on the campaign trail by train).  I chose the first part.  This is my attempt, and of course, I couldn't stop at just one.  My late father-in-law, Troy Matthews, was a Navy See-bee during WW2, and was stationed in Guam.  Here are a couple of photos from his collection that depict village life when Troy was there.  Some of the photos were probably taken by him, others by the guys he was with, and some may have been bought in the village.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

If you enjoyed this post, here are two more about Troy's time in Guam:




This is a Sepia Saturday post.  To see more really cool old photos from around the world, and to learn their history, please "CLICK HERE".  You are very welcome to join in and post your own too.  This group of people is very interactive, and if you love history, you'll love Sepia Saturday!  I sure do.



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

11 comments:

Postcardy said...

I would REALLY hate doing laundry if I had to do it that way. It is bad enough with modern washers and dryers.

Little Nell said...

A great historical record of times past. A tribute to Troy too! Like Postcardy, I wouldn’t fancy doing my laundry that way.

Bob Scotney said...

I tried fishing like that once but forgot to let go of the net. I can still hear the fisherman's laugh as he showed me how.

Unknown said...

Oh yes, they certainly di get into their washing didn't they. Wonderful old photos. You are lucky to have them.

Brett Payne said...

Pretty good photos - do you think he took them, or were they bought as "tourist" souvenirs, I wonder?

Alan Burnett said...

Both photograph capture action perfectly : different levels of action admittedly, but action nevertheless. And both photographs are so full of information : like all good images, they can be read like a book.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thanks, everybody, I'm glad that you liked them.

Brett, I don't know ... I assumed that he took most of them, but that fisherman photo was very lightweight, unlike the others and could very well have been a tourist photo. If you click on the other links, Troy is working on the bridge, so somebody he knew took that one. His handwriting is on the front and back of many of them.

I just hope that nobody had to drink the water wear they washed their clothes!

Christine H. said...

What an adventure that must have been for him. What a nice way to remember Troy!

Liz Stratton said...

As happy as I am to have my laundry running while I review the Sepia Saturday posts, I can't help but envy the camaraderie of doing laundry with friends, sharing the latest gossip.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

It was another way of life and you have a wonderful record of it.

21 Wits said...

Okay that kind of fishing I could handle, but never ever do I want to wash clothes like that! They did have a system down though didn't they!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":