Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Shankio, Oregon Post #2: Shankio Car Museum, Reed Mission or "The Barn"



Out in the middle of nowhere, on the 
high desert of Central Oregon ...


There is the ghost town of Shaniko, Oregon.  Lucky for us, it is right on HWY 97, and there are still a few folks living there to make it a pleasant place to stop and enjoy.  This is the second in a series of posts about the things that Cary and I saw when we visited Shaniko in mid-September.  This one has to do with one of the museums, which I think of as the barn.  The first post was "Shaniko, Oregon: A Bit of Ghost Town History".


There is a sign on this big red building that says, "Shaniko Museum, Reed Mission".  Inside the doors, there are donation boxes that mention donations will go for restoration purposes.  Though we hadn't been to Shaniko for seven years, everything looks exactly the same as I remembered it.  The most remarkable thing about that to me is that there hasn't been any vandalism.







On the inside, there were so many things to see!  I could not help to think of Mike, Frank and Danielle from the A&E reality show American Pickers , and how much they would love this place. 


The old fashioned camper above was what the sheep-herders used out in the field.  




There were all of these old vehicles inside the fencing:























 






Outside, in the back, there was a lot more to see:





















I hope that you enjoyed the tour.  If you know the names and ages of any of these old cars, please leave them in a comment and I'll move your comment up underneath the correct picture.  Or, if you have stories to share about Shaniko, we would all enjoy hearing about those too!

Kathy M.




At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

5 comments:

Bruno Laliberté said...

Most cars could use a washing...
But some could be splendid if better maintained. Interesting sights there. I wonder what this is in photo DSC08400. Do you know its purpose?
:)~
HUGZ

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Bruno, well, we are not certain, but both Mom and I think it is a probably a food cart of some sort.

Bruno Laliberté said...

Would make sense. I think it's pretty and a little work on it would do wonders.
:)~
HUGZ

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting these great pictures of the cars in the Livery Barn. I haven't been able to visit since the 1980's and I never took a lot of pictures during my visits.

Your last picture from the Shaniko Car Museum, is a 1946 Chrysler. It is known as the Astoria Clown Car, and is undergoing a slight restoration.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2014/03/astoria_clown_car_reawakens_in.html

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Oh, thank you, I'm glad that you enjoyed the pictures. I'll check out your link.

Kathy M.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":