Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sepia Saturday #101: J.C. Johnson and Sallie Paralander Hunton Johnson of Summers, AR


Here is this week's Sepia Saturday theme.  "The Greatest Chevorlet ... A Six in the Price Range of the Four."  To see what the other participants of Sepia Saturday posted this week, please CLICK HERE.


I really didn't know what that meant, so I Googled the phrase, and came up with this informative link that explained things nicely,  Auto How Stuff Works: 1929 Chevolet Series.

They are discussing this neat car ...

 Source: Auto How Stuff Works: 1929 Chevolet Series

And now, this post will change course and tie into one of  my favorite topics, my family.  This week, like last week, I am featuring my Dad's side of the family in Summers, Arkansas.  My great-aunt Mabel Johnson Henderson is shown below next to a 1955 Chevy:

Source:  Suzanne Henderson's Facebook Photos

Aunt Mabel is the oldest child of my great-grandparents, John Chapman (J.C.) "Chat" Johnson and Sallie Paralander Hunton Johnson.  

Source:  Carolyn Hawley Facebook Photos

J.C. was born on March 8, 1879 and died on April 23, 1933.  He died before my Dad was born, and I just don't have too many stories about him so far.  One thing of note, J.C. was the Justice of the Peace of Levying Court in Wedington twice, serving a one year term in 1918-1919 and then again during 1927-1928.  

Sallie was born on December 1, 1880 and died on November 21, 1962.  Here is some info about her ancestors.  (I'm trying to gather as much information all into one spot to make things easy for family members.)


Source:  www.geni.com

Here are some pictures of her with my Ralph (my Dad), Delmar (my Grandpa) and Agnes (my Grandma):

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Great-grandma Sallie Johnson with baby Ralph


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Great-grandma Sallie Johnson with young Ralph


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Sallie, Delmar and Agnes Johnson


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
 Delmar with his mother, Sallie


The couple was married on September 2, 1900, in Washington County, Arkansas.  J.C. was 21 and Sallie was 20. 

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Mattehws


J.C. and Sallie began their family, and are pictured below with Mabel and George: 

Source: Carolyn Hawley's Facebook Photos

They had five children who lived, Mabel, George (Joe), Carl, Delmar and Chloe.  I featured them last week, and you can "CLICK HERE" to go to that post.  Here is a picture of them, minus Chloe who was not born when this picture was taken:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Source:  Suzanne Henderson Facebook Photos


The babies who died were:  
Roby Lee Johnson (July 2, 1901-July 29, 1901)
Clara (Clarie) Johnson (June 2, 1902, stillborn)
Noel Neice Johnson (January 11, 1916 - April 26, 1916)
Owen Franklin Johnson (March 21, 1918, stillborn)

On November 14, 1912, J.C. and Sallie bought 40 farming acres for $1,125.00:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews (scanned from Washington County, Arkansas Courthouse Records)


Here is another deed regarding Sallie's purchase of more property, using the 40 acres to secure the debt:


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews (scanned from Washington County, Arkansas Courthouse Records)

I still have so much to learn about these great-grandparents of mine.  I do know that besides being a wife, mother and grandmother, Grandma Sallie was a quilter, and part of the Weddington Quilting Club.  Here is a cool photo of the ladies of the club in 1966 (Grandma Sallie died in 1962, so she's not pictured.)


Weddington Quilting Club, Source:  Suzanne Henderson's Facebook Photos
I was fortunate to inherit the wedding quilt that Grandma Sallie made for my Grandpa Delmar and Grandma Agnes:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
 Don't worry, we didn't really eat at this pretty table.  I wouldn't get this quilt dirty.  It is around 76-years-old now.


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Here is Grandpa J.C.'s Obituary:




J.C. Johnson
"John Chapman Johnson was born March 8, 1879, three miles south of Wedington and lived there to the age of 54 years, one month, 15 days, when our blessed Master, who doeth all things well, saw fit to call him to rest on the morning of April 23,  1933.  

On September 2, 1900, he was united in marriage to Miss Sallie Hunton.  To this union were born nine children, four of whom have proceeded him in death.

He is survived by his wife and five children:  George, Mrs. Mabel Henderson, Carl, Delmar and Chloe, and three grandchildren.  He also leaves three brothers and two sisters besides other relatives and many friends who morn his departure.

He professed faith in Christ in his earlier days and joined the Methodist church, but through neglect he drifted from God, but later in life there came a message from the Father above, calling his prodigal son to come home.  He accepted this great invitation, which was proven by the many wonderful testimonies that were witnessed during his illness.

Funeral services were held at the Baptist church of Wedington conducted by Brother Dees.  After two songs.  Death is "Only a Dream"  and "Swing Open the Gates of Heaven." which was his favorite song, a wonderful message was delivered from the 12th chapter of Ecclesiastes.  Pyeatts funeral service took charge and he was laid to rest."


I noticed that Grandpa J.C.'s favorite hymn was Swing Open the Gates of Heaven and I found a beautiful version of it on You Tube.  It seems to have several interchangeable titles; I hope this is the one that was his favorite:




And here is a copy of Grandma Sallie's funeral program:

Source:  Suzanne Henderson's Facebook Photos


Source:  Carolyn Hawley's Facebook Photos







So, this is what I have so far.  I hope that you enjoyed it!  If you are a relative with anymore info, please let me know.  Thank you so much to my cousin's Suzanne and Carolyn for their help.

Kathy M.

Here are some other links to posts about this side of my family:
The Johnson's of Summers, Arkansas
Grandma Agnes Johnson
1975 Bi-Centennial Trip to Summers, Arkansas
Ralph's Baby Book and The Book From Aunt Maude
The Johnson Children of Summers, Arkansas
Before and After: The Johnson Children of Summers, Arkansas



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

13 comments:

viridian said...

Thank you for sharing the car photo and esp. the quilting photo! I have learned from my quilting history books that many families had the quilting frame hung from the ceiling, so that it could be put out of the way. How wonderful to see this kins of frame in practice!

North County Film Club said...

Very interesting post about your family. That obituary is so fascinating. Leaves a lot to the imagination if we could only read between those lines.
Nancy Javier
Ladies of the grove

21 Wits said...

Oh my goodness, I hope this is reprinted for all your family to share again over and over...what a great presentation...and the photos are wonderful, and that table with the quilt I could go on and on...the ladies together so reminded me of the ladies group when I was first married at church...they would gather together the ladies group for everything! thanks!

Postcardy said...

I especially like the quilting picture.

Christine H. said...

Great photos. Ralph looks like a little doll. I love that quilting photo too.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

What a wonderful post. I loved all the photos, and as a genealogist myself, I appreciated all the family documents as well.

Bob Scotney said...

A tremendous series of photos and a fascinating story to go with them.

Alan Burnett said...

Yes it is a great post : like a quilt - rich and varied and demonstrating so much skill and so much care. Blog posting as quilting - I like it.

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my goodness...where do I begin? The photos...oh the photos.......aren't they priceless? You have shared some of the family. And you know just how I feel about family roots and work from the heart - like this post. I so enjoyed it!!!! And that quilt?-----my goodness. If only there was some way to have it framed and behind glass on a huge wall. That is quite the heirloom. A real treasure.

Loved reading about all the history of your family. This was an extra special treat for me today.

Have a great, blessed, and happy Thanksgiving.

Little Nell said...

Packed with information! It’s always lovely to see one person, in this case Sallie, over the years. I bet her obitury will be equally interesting. I had to smile at the photo of her holding baby Ralph rather carefully at arm’s length. It almost looked like an early ventriloquist act. She seems a bit more relaxed in later pictures.

Sherri said...

What a wonderful collection of photos and documents! I love the quilt...that is one thing that I have always wanted, but never got. I like the way you started it with the photo of Sallie with the car to tie it into Sepia Saturday. We family historians will do anything to get our family info out there :)
How did Delmar break his leg? Your dad Ralph is a real cutie. J. C.'s obituary was a treasure trove of information on him. I could go on, but I would run out of space. Thank you for sharing!

Bruno Laliberté said...

something about Mabel
and that '55 Chevy.
:)~
HUGZ

Gloria said...

Wow, what wonderful old photos and old documents you have, Kathy! You (and your family) did a great job in obtaining all of these things. I wish I had the gumption to get my family's ancestry done... Thanks for sharing with us! I loved seeing everything.
Best,
Gloria
P.S. My favorite was the the photo of the four kids... loved that look on the face of the little boy in the back on the right!! :)

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":