Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Early Oregon ~ Postcards to Litha #4: The Willamette River at Oregon City, Oregon

This post card is the fourth one in a series of some post cards that belonged to my Great Grandmother Litha Letsom of Yoncalla, Oregon.  They were mailed to her around 1909; one had a message, and a couple of them were unused.  If you enjoy this post, you might also enjoy seeing the other post cards in this series @  Postcards to Litha Series: #1-4.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Oregon City is now a city next to Portland, Oregon.  But, back in the 1850's, Oregon City was where you landed at the end of your 2,000 mile cross country Oregon Trail journey.  It is, in fact, where some of my pioneer ancestors landed.  They later settled in Yoncalla and Drain, in southern Oregon.

When this postcard was made, some sixty years later, Oregon City was a prospering place to live.  Shown above is a mill with neatly organized logs on the Willamette River, with a steam ship trying to navigate past those darn logs. 

The Willamette River has its beginning with four different forks.  The North Fork begins at Waldo Lake and merges into the Middle Fork above Oakridge.  The South Fork begins at Cougar Reservoir on the McKenzie River.  The final fork of the Willamette is the Coast Fork, and it begins in Cottage Grove.  The Willamette flows through Eugene to Portland, and then merges with the mighty Columbia.  The Columbia River eventually flows into the Pacific Ocean at Astoria.

I copied and pasted a brief summary of the route of the Willamette below from the website Online Highways.com

"The Willamette River is a vital, multi-purpose waterway that touches the lives of millions of people along its banks and throughout the Pacific Northwest. An important historical and cultural resource, the Willamette today still abounds with great natural beauty, abundant wildlife, and varied recreational opportunities.

Rising in the mountains of west central Oregon, it joins the McKenzie River at Eugene and flows past Harrisburg, Corvallis, and Albany (where it is fed by the Calapooia River, it flows on through the broad and fertile Willamette Valley. After being joined by the Santiam River, it continues past Independence and Salem. At Oregon City, it tumbles over the Willamette Falls and passes through Portland before joining the Columbia River to the Pacific."

For more info on the Willamette River and Oregon City, here are a few links to check out:

 Map is courtesy of the Wikipedia link below.


Wikipedia: The Willamette River
The Oregon Encylopedia: The Willamette River


Stamps were only a penny for postcards back in 1909: 

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

This postcard says "Pacific Novelty Company, Publishers, San Francisco, Cal.  Made in Germany." 

I decided to do a little research on the Pacific Novelty Company, and am listing a few links that I found.  Because I am brand new to the world of postcard collecting and their values, I am adding a variety of resources here to remind me where to begin.  I hope that they will be helpful to you also:
Postal Treasures Website: PNC Postcards for Sale  -This website shows actual cards similar to mine and their values.  Most seem to be worth between $5.00 and $10.00


Have a wonderful Friday!


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check



7 comments:

Aimee said...

Great card! My sister in law used to live near Portland. She often sent us BEAUTIFUL pictures of the area. I'd love to visit one day.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thanks, Aimee. One thing that Oregon has (especially the Willamette Valley) is beauty!

Funoldhag said...

I have been to beautiful Oregon several times now that my middle granddaughter moved out there. It is just wonderful country.

MuseSwings said...

This is a wonderful post - excellent information about the river!

Tete said...

I love old postcards that show details of how things once were. This card is very nice. Love all your research to go with it.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

All those logs! I've never seen anything like that. Interesting and beautiful at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Fun!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":