Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Writing In The Buff's Book Blurb Friday #13: The Night When Dark Began

Okay, you guys, here is my first try at this kind of a story.  Hope you enjoy it.  ~ Kathy


"The Night When Dark Began"
by Kathy Matthews

December 2011.  It was a snowy Sunday evening, and at 8 ½ months pregnant, Allison’s water had just broke.  Another 8” of snow was predicted by morning. The hospital was 45 minutes away, along the icy mountain highway.


Grabbing her bag and her sweet husband Tim, Allison hurried out to the car.  Suddenly, the neighborhood lights went out.  A power failure due to the heavy snow, they supposed.  The automatic door lock refused to unlock the car doors.  Using the key, they climbed inside to find that the car wouldn’t start.  Neither of their cell phones worked now either.  Allison began to panic, as a large cramp crawled across her belly.


They didn’t realize it yet, but having the baby at home in the dark was only the beginning.  This time, the power was not going to be coming back on.  This outage was caused by an Electromagnetic Pulse. (150)



For more info on EMP, you can check out the links below.  Believe it or not, this is a true thing, if you haven't heard about it yet:






I am participating in Lisa's Book Blurb Friday, from over at Writing in the Buff.   It is fun, and you can play too!  Pretend that the picture above is the cover of a book.  On the inside jacket, you have 150 words to entice the reader to buy your book.  Lisa gives us a week to think about next week's entry (she's gracious like that).  Please CLICK HERE  to read what everybody else wrote!



If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

13 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Poor Allison! And what will the ramifications of the Electromagnetic Pulse be? Nice job, Kathy. You've offered a terrific hook and made me care about the fate of the characters. Great blurb!

Kay L. Davies said...

Wow, for a first-timer at this kind of story, you've given us a cliffhanger. And an education in electromagnetic pulses, too, I'll bet. (I'll have to check those links after we run some errands. Be right back!)
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Arkansas Patti said...

Yes I have heard of it and that is my kind of story. I'm sold.

Lynn said...

Okay, I'm going to have to check out Eletromagnetic Pulse. Loved the blurb. Sounds like the family may have to do what they used to do back in the day!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am definitely happy to discover this. Good job!

Susan Fobes said...

Okay Kathy you got me hooked and I even went to your links to see what kind of trauma this poor couple were going to go through! Well, babies come when babies come-hope all ends well.

Sandra Davies said...

Hope Allison and Tom have the wit to go back into the house, grab a 'How to deliver baby' book and do it naturally! And that all ends happy ever after. But somehow I doubt it ...

Hootin Anni said...

Oh dang, girl, this sent chills down my legs as I sit here....literally!! And no, it's not poor circulation...it's your blurb!!!

Goodness Gracious.


Josephine's Door

Happy Friday!!

jabblog said...

Life will never be the same again - and not just because there's a baby in the house. Scary!

Dominic de Mattos said...

What a fantastic first go! I hope you will come back and treat us every week!

The blurb is so well written, gripping, and making us want to read more.

Bravo!

:Dom

Tammy said...

That really IS a horror story! And I guess poor Tim will be delivering a baby? I want to read the story to find out!

Jenners said...

Now THIS is a real horror novel!!! Well done. I'm shaking just thinking about it.

Grandma's Goulash said...

The element of possibility makes an already frightening story even scarier. Well done!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":