Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Letters to Litha: Emaline R. Schlin Morgan



This week, Alan gave us two choices 
for being on theme for Sepia Saturday.


You guessed it; I followed neither one.  

I recently discovered this funny letter among the Letsom Letters, and thought that you guys would enjoy it.  It was written to my Great-Grandmother, Talitha (Letsom) Hedrick from her friend Emaline R. Schlin Morgan.  Emaline mailed the letter from Ashland, Oregon in January, 1909.  I did a brief search on Emaline, and found that she married Mike Morgan on December 1, 1908. 

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Ashland, Ore.
Jan. 5. '09

Dear Friend Litha -
I heard you had came home again, so I guess I will write to you again.  I must say that you are a dandy about writing.  I haven't heard from you for about three years what in the duce were you doing?  I guess all you folks back there are the same ...

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

haven't heard from Ed for a long time guess he has forgotten us.  Well Litha I got tired of single ness so got married.  You know I always said that when I got married I was agoing to wear white silk.  Well I did.  We were married at Ediths home.  Were serenaded twice.  They took him all over town and made him treat at every one they ...
 

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

met.  I received some lovely presents.

What are you doing any way.  Write and tell me everything.  I haven't hear any news from there for a long time.  I have just got up, it is 10 oclock.  I generally get up before that time but we all (that is Edith & Ray and Mike and I) went to a show last night so this morning I had to make up for lost ...

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

time.  How is Mrs. Goodell and the girls?  Now write and tell me who's married, who's dead, who's eloped and who's intends to elope.

Hoping to hear from you soon.  I remain your sincere friend.  Emaline Morgan.  Be sure and put the Emaline when you write.  Good-by with love and best wishes to all.  If you don't answer ...

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

this letter I will never write to you again.  When I hear from you I will send you one of our pictures.  Good-by.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


Could this be Emaline standing next to Litha in the picture below?  I hope that if any of Emaline's relatives discover this post someday that you will let me know if it is.  The handwriting looks different, but there is about a 45 year difference between the letter and teh photo. 

Even if the lady in the black dress isn't Emaline, Grandma Litha sure had some fun girlfriends!


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

It sounds like these two ladies would be pretty mad at me for putting this picture on the internet!  The back of the photo says, "This is all I could find and I laughed so I thot I would send it to you.  Don't put it on your dresser.  I wonder where we are and I know it has been twenty years since I had that black dress.  Awful cold here Dec 11.  I will not put any name on this."

We still don't know who the lady in the black dress is, but the one in the white dress is my Great-Grandma Litha (Letsom) Hedrick, a bit heavier in this photo than in the others.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

This is a Sepia Saturday post.  To see stories of others old photos or to post yourself, please "CLICK HERE" .  To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more. please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar and read whatever else catches your fancy.  Thanks so much for visiting!


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.  Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

11 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

That letter is a hoot!

Queen Bee said...

It's neat that the letter is still around so many years later. Hope you do hear from Emaline's family - I'm sure they would enjoy seeing the letter as well.

Wendy said...

What a fun letter! I love the request for all the news of who's dead and who's eloped.

Bob Scotney said...

The letter deserves a permanent place in a reference library. It will be a great historic document.

Alan Burnett said...

The combination of reading her words and actually seeing the scan of the letter itself allows you to get so much under the skin of the person, I feel like I knew her quite well. Who cares if it is on theme or off theme, if it is as interesting as this.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

What a great letter! I wonder if she did get a reply. :)

Postcardy said...

I hope this letter got a response.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Old letters like that are great, and so much fun when you are connected to the person. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

Little Nell said...

I get the feeling several people were being roundly ticked off for being shoddy with their letter-writing. These days it would be a cicular e-mail saying “it has come to my attention....” or similar. This was a great find.

North County Film Club said...

I loved the description of her wedding. Such interesting traditions.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

"Who's married, who's dead, who's eloped and who intends to" she sounds just like my Mum :-) I hope you have some more of these fab letters to share with us! Jo

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":