Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Book Blurb Friday #26: "The Good Doctor"

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


The Good Doctor
by Kathy Matthews

"Dr. Sylvia Charleston was a child prodigy with a kind heart.  Growing up on the mission field and then graduating from medical school at a young age, Sylvia worked for twenty years in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.  Saving her money and sacrificing over the next twenty years, when Sylvia turned 40, she moved to Guatemala to set up her dream practice of helping the underprivileged.   Dr. Charleston's home-office and surgery center was like a mansion to the locals, built with the best materials.  

Sylvia soon partnered with CMT of Oregon.  Teams of medical professionals visit her small Guatemalan town each spring, and stay for two weeks.  Other team members visit village homes and install safe stoves and cover their dirt floors with concrete slabs.  

Learn more about this remarkable woman with heartwarming stories of the bonds and friendships that Dr. Sylvia Charleston has made over the past 15 years."  (150)


This week's photo was taken by my friend Lynn, over at "Present Letters".   You sure do take awesome photos, Lynn!  

I just made up Dr. Sylvia Charleston, but CMT (Cascade Medical Teams) and HELPS International are real.  They go to Guatemala for two weeks each spring to hold medical/dental/surgery clinics and to install ONIL Stoves.  The construction teams also pour concrete slabs on the dirt floors of people's one-room homes. 

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

My mother, aka: Grandma Jody, has gone for the past ten years to serve.  My nephew Ethan has gone the past three years, and my daughter Kristin has gone twice and plans on going again next year.  This is such an incredible gift that CMT is giving to the Guatemalan locals.  To learn more, I have photos and links on my "Outreach" blog.


I am participating in Lisa's Book Blurb Friday, from over at Writing in the Buff.   It is fun, and you can play too!  Pretend that the picture on the top of this post is the cover of a book.  On the inside jacket, you have 150 words to entice the reader to buy your book.  Lisa gives us a week to think about next week's entry (she's gracious like that).  Please CLICK HERE  to read what everybody else wrote!


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

9 comments:

liberal sprinkles said...

What a lovely story, Kathy. I was thinking "I wish this were real" as I read it and am glad to hear it is, sort of. Fantastic initiative!
G

liberal sprinkles said...

by the way, what font did you use for the title and author name on the photo? Very nice!!

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful, Kathy. A book such as this would be a great read, and an inspiration to many who, like your family, want to do their part to make the world a better place.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Grandma's Goulash said...

What an inspiring book this would be. I'd be buying it and rereading it, whenever I found myself questioning what one person can do to make a change.

BECKY said...

Excellent book blurb, Kathy!!

Bookie said...

Very real sounding and would be a good read if it did exist. I love real people doing real things!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Terrific fictional blurb, made all the more enticing by your very nonfiction follow up of the wonderful things your family is doing. God bless.

Tammy said...

I liked your refreshing take even before finding out the CMT and HELP International are real. Great pictures.

Lynn said...

I liked what you did with this... and what a wonderful thing your family is doing. Bravo.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":