Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Taking the Long Way Home, Part #1:

As I left Eugene yesterday, I decided to vary my normal route by just a bit and take my time returning to Mayberry.  My first stop was the Unity Bridge which crosses Fall Creek.  It is located on your way to Fall Creek Lake, near Lowell.

Oregon has numerous covered bridges and many of them are located in the Willamette and McKenzie Valleys.  This particular bridge was built in 1936.  It is a wooden bridge, and is covered to keep the planks better for a longer period of time.





















Across the street from the bridge is an old grocery store that looks A) Haunted and B) like those guys from American Pickers would love it.  Back in the 90's it was still a regular store.  It looked spooky, but when I tried to poke my camera lens into the hole in the glass, my battery went dead.  Who knows what I would have spotted if I had taken more photos, but I decided it was best to head into Lowell.






See that cute little orb that wanted it's picture taken at the base of the sign?  She looks like a fairy to me!  I followed the finger into Lowell.   




This house is located at the entrance into Lowell, by Dexter Lake.  They work so hard on most holidays to decorate it for us to enjoy.  Thanks, you guys, I appreciate your hard work:









After taking the pictures of this home, I left Lowell and headed up Hwy 58 with a couple other destinations in mind.



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

3 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

The pumpkin house is delightful. Is this a private residence?

The photos of the covered bridge remind me of the first I ever saw, back (waaay back LOL!) when I was about 13, vacationing in Vermont. My friend and I spray-painted our names on the bridge, not to vandalize, but because we thought it would be cool to have our names permanently written somewhere. When I got older and realized the import of our actions I felt awful about it. I have always regretted it. It was a beautiful bridge...well, except for the bold LINDA and LISA painted on the side. *sigh* So sorry for that.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Lisa, if it makes you feel any better, the bridge maintenance folks have probably painted over it by now! For more permanence, I suggest carving your name into the wood with a pocket knife. Not that I ever have! Lol.

Yes, this house is a private residence. I'll make it a point to take photos of it now; they decorate for the Ducks, Christmas, etc. It is an awesome way to enter and exit the little town of Lowell, and to me is the prettiest part of the town all together.

Shelly Miller said...

Hey Kathy, The picts of the covered bridge are awesome. You know when I lived in Mapleton growing up the bridge over the siuslaw was a covered one. I've only ever been able to find just one pict of it. That is a small one in a book. I think the first one is my favorite. I like the lines and how you picked up shape realistically.
I also liked the slideshow of Fort Rock. I'm thinking the snow makes it seem really so desolute. When I was a kid I always thought I would have liked to live in the middle 1800's and crossed in a wagon train. How we cannot see all the true hardship, work and perils as a kid. Thanks for sharing.
Shelly

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":