Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Bargain Book Bonanza #4: Children's Literature Blog and Book Reviews


Hello friends!  Did  you guys know that I have another blog?  Well, actually, I have more than one other blog, and the links to each are located on the sidebar near the top, under "Other Blogs by Kathy Matthews".  Go figure.  Anyway, here is the one that I want to introduce to you this morning ...

Children's Literature, American Folklore and American Traditions:  Remembering the America of my youth...compiled by Kathy Matthews, a baby boomer grandmother living in Central Oregon. This website includes American History, children and youth books, songs, nursery rhymes, movies and stories that we don't want to forget ... with links to websites with similar information.

Please go over there and check it out that website when you have a chance, and make sure that you take a look at all the pages.  Besides books and library links, you will find folk songs, homeschooling info and lots, lots more.  PLEASE CLICK HERE.



I love reading the kids books in our little home library. It has been a joy, and it makes me want to keep adding to it.  Whenever I see used books of any kind at a great bargain, I buy them.  A teacher once told me that if a book written for children is good that people of all ages will enjoy it. That is so true!

I have done this before, in the mid 90's, reading childrens' literature, when I had my home childcare center. I found that it helped me remember what it was like to be a child, to see the world through their eyes. It helped me to remember what made a child happy, proud, sad, scared and worried.  I think that everybody should do it once in a while ... read quality writing for kids.  

Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume are really good about getting inside a kid's head and explaining the world through their eyes. So are many other authors.  Here are a few book reviews that I wrote last year:
Carolina Crow Girl
by Valerie Hobbs, c. 1999
This is a story about an 11-year-old named Carolina. She lives with her mom (who has never been married) and baby sister in a school bus. They find a piece of property to park the bus in a new town on the West Coast, and she finds a baby crow and a best friend named Stefan.  Carolina has to make some big decisions. I enjoyed this book a lot.


Because of Winn-Dixie
by Kate DiCamillo, c. 2000. Newberry Winner
This book is just like the movie, if you have already seen it. It is about a wise and kind little girl, Opal, who is new to town, finds a dog and together they make friends during their first summer there. Full of wisdom and acceptance, there is a lot written into this little book.  It shows how everybody has issues, a story of their lives, and that and everybody is important. So is having a community.


Harriet Spies Again
by Helen Ericson, c. 2002
Harriet the Spy was written a long time ago by Louise Fitzhugh. It was one of my favorites when I was a little girl. Harriet Spies Again is a follow-up book written by somebody else, about Harriet when she is 11 and 12. Her nanny, Ole Golly, returns to their home for several months after leaving her new husband. This book is really well written and captures Harriet to a tee.


Ramona's World
Beverly Cleary, c. 1999
I love Ramona Quimby and know that I am not the only one!  In this book, Ramona's baby sister, Roberta, has just been born and Beezus just started high school. Ramona is just beginning 4th grade, meets a new best friend, has her first crush, and really has a good year, all in all.  

I am submitting this post into Lesa's Bargain Book Bonanza, over at Baja Greenawalt's Book Blog.  Please join in and tell us your story about the great bargain books that you have found, and  CLICK HERE  to see what our other book friends are up to today!




If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

7 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Kathy, I agree with you that the best thing about good Children's Literature is that it can be enjoyed by people of all generations. Books written for adults can be really good, too, of course, but not always something one can share with younger readers.

I also like to buy Children's Books when they come at a bargain. Added to my family's collection of child-friendly Reader's Digest and Time-Life references, they make a formidable library! And it's funny that you should mention your home childcare centre (which I'm certain every child who was part of remembers with fondness!), because just the other night, I was thinking that if I wanted to open a tutorial centre in my own home, I was already more than half-equipped to do it!

Arkansas Patti said...

I have read several young adult books that were quite good. Maybe I will step down a grade and check out some childrens books. Thanks.

Lesa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lesa said...

Kathy, you are my kind of bookworm! I've never stopped reading children's literature. The people who turn their noses up at picture books, childrens, and YA miss out on so much-- I really don't know what is wrong with them. Just not as cool as us, I reckon. ;o)

Haven't read those books but they sound good. I did like the movie Winn-Dixie.

Tnanks for linking up again.

Oh yes, thanks for bragging on the the cookbook BBB post at Mrs. BG. I can't take credit though-- Leslie, one of my co-bloggers, wrote it.

:o)

Pat - Arkansas said...

I still enjoy children's stories, especially fairy tales. I no longer permanently acquire books, but that doesn't stop my reading them. Where there's a will, there's a way -- and a Kindle.

Donnie said...

I love to see what my grandchildren are reading and I am always surprised at the levels they read at. Great post.

Anonymous said...

I like your zoo slides, looking forward to post some more different.


send gifts to pakistan

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":