Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bargain Book Bonanza #5: Bend's Own Humane Society of Central Oregon's Thrift Store



Last Tuesday, I had an hour to fill while I was in Bend.  I  decided to drive just a couple of blocks, and check out the the thrift store that is in operation to raise money for the local humane society.  They had a little bit of everything there, and a large used book section.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Cookbooks were 1/2 off on the day that I went.  I didn't see any of those that I wanted, but kept looking around.  The books are not cheap here, but I learned that is because when they have storewide 1/2 price sales a couple of times a month, they want to get something for them.  

The tall bookcase below is their children's book section.  I soon traded out my basket for a shopping cart, because things were getting too heavy.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I ended up spending $20.00 and received two free books with my purchase.  The cashier was the nicest customer service person that I have met in forever.  When she learned that it was my very first time there, she explained all about their thrift store.  She told me about the half off days, and that there is a second one behind Bend's Factory Outlet shops.  That one specializes in furniture and other large items.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

This was my haul!  Most other times, $20.00 would have bought me many more books.  But, I was ecstatic because of what I found that day hidden in a little box, behind some other books.  I found these, a set of six Lane County Historians for $10.00:
 
 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I didn't know what an excellent find that they were until I got home and began to look through them.  I grew up in Lane County, and they hold tons of information that I need for my "The Early Oregon Series".  I have already been able to use them in this week's Sepia Saturday about the Civilian Conservation Corps.                               

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
This neat little book will be helpful for that too.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I found an old baseball fact book for our grandson Cameron, and a copy of  The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon that I can keep.  (I just reading it, but the book was a library book.)  Another Stephen King for entertainment, and a pretty cool organization book (one of my free ones).


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I also found an Amy Tan that I didn't know about, and the classic C.S. Lewis book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

I got the 1934 Christian Science book for free, and it contained this cool letter in it:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews



This post is part of Lesa's Bargain Book Bonanza, which happens every Monday.  Please CLICK HERE  to go and see other neat post about folks bargain book finds, when Monday gets here!




At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check


7 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Quite a haul you got there. Thanks to a good recommendation, I am now reading "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" and am really enjoying it. Nice that you now have your own copy.

Donnie said...

When will you have time to blog with all those books to read...lol...Great haul.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Patti, I'm glad you are enjoying the book. Donnie, when I get too tired at the computer, I lay on the couch and read, lol!

DeLynne said...

That 'Songs of the Pioneer' book reminds me of Laura Ingles Wilder's books. You've got quite a selection there!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

You got great treasures there! I love Amy Tan's books and I've listened to the audiobook Saving Fish from Drowning. I also like CS Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Awesome finds :)

Lesa said...

What a haul! And for a good cause too!

That letter is cool-- you know how I like old notes/letters in books!

I didn't know about that Amy Tan book either-- I really liked Joy Luck Club but never really explored her other works.

Thanks for linking another great post!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

What a neat haul! =D

And do you know the one thing more fascinating than an old letter from halfway around the world? . . . A blogger from halfway around the world sharing an old letter that was written in one's own city! ;-)

I wonder what has become of that Christian Science branch church since the letter was written . . .

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":