Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sepia Saturday: Beauty and The Bull AND Phil Loves Marilyn

Alan's picture this week for Sepia Saturday is of a lady on the cover of a magazine riding a rocking horse.  I found this photo of a pretty young woman riding a bull:

Source:  Lane County Historian, Vol. 44, No. 2, Summer 1999

The post below was originally posted in January of this year, but I thought that my Sepia Saturday peeps might enjoy it this week.  It is on theme, I do believe, of beautiful vintage ladies! 

When you are all through here at Oregon Gifts, please "CLICK HERE" to see neat old pictures from the past.


On Sunday night, January 26th, we went to the little Central Oregon town of  Chemult, which is about a 45 minute drive from our home.  We were going there to meet Kylie's train (which turned out to be 6 hours late, but we didn't know that was going to happen), and we got into town at 9:00.  Only a couple of places were open, The Pilot Travel Center (thank God that it is a 24/7 joint), and the Chalet.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

If you have ever been to the Chalet, you would know that the owner, Phil, loves Marilyn Monroe, and has a great collection of Marilyn looking gorgeous.  If you have never been, well, I took some pictures so that you can see it for yourself:


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Marilyn gives Phil a kiss.



Now, let's take a little stroll down Marilyn Monroe Blvd.:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Of course, Ms. Monroe is the original Blonde Bombshell (I think), but there is also a microbrew of that same name made right here in Central Oregon, by the  Cascade Lakes Brewery.  I didn't have any of that though; I stuck with my Merlot.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

These are actually life-sized cardboard cutouts of Marilyn:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

This vintage metal shampoo sign was cool:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Here are some photos of photos/posters that were on the wall:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Another great poster; it is easy to see why the guys loved her:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

More wall photos:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I really liked this one:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

What a vintage find:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Phil's friend is getting a little fresh here:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

My Best Friend Husband is more respectful.  Of course, he knew that this would eventually end up on my blog:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I want to give a shout out to Connie at the Chalet, for staying open later for us, and for visiting and listening to me chatter on about my book idea.  She was a goldmine of information, and is setting up a railroad friend of hers for me to interview.  Connie got me going again, yay!  Plus, she remembered my Grandma and Grandpa's little store on old River Road, and it was so neat to talk with her about that, and about everything else.  Thanks, Connie!

Last, but not least, this picture of Cary and Marilyn was taken at the wax museum in San Antonio, Texas a couple of years ago:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
 

At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

21 comments:

2sweetnsaxy said...

Those were great. Thanks for sharing all of those. And... I wonder if that bull in the first shot was sedated. :-D

KathyB. said...

Chemult, wow! I haven't thought of that town since my last trip to Klamath Falls. Chemult was always the place we knew we were getting close to Grandma & Grandpa's home.

Phil really does seem to have a thing for Marilyn, and it is good to see your husband posing respectably by her.

Arkansas Patti said...

Goodness, he really does have it bad. That guy molesting Marilyn looks a bit like Ron Howard.

Postcardy said...

Beauty doesn't look like she is dressed for riding. Maybe she just sat on the bull to have her picture taken.

Little Nell said...

The young lady and the bull is a interesting mix! In ancient Crete young women used to be ‘bull-leapers’, gymnasts who grabbed the horns and leapt over the bull’s back. This lady looks far more sedate, - let’s hope the bull was too!

Bob Scotney said...

The beauty and the bull make a great pair. And as for Marilyn!

Arlee Bird said...

The Chalet looks like a pretty place and a real treat for Marilyn fans. Looks like fun.


Lee
Tossing It Out

21 Wits said...

What a great Sepia post, especially opening with such an amazing Ride!.... but if Marilyn could view this post, she would blush, and be so proud! Excellent post!

Christine H. said...

Beauty and the bull. You've got it all covered. I've never been to Chemult. Does this place have good food too?

Kim, USA said...

Hahaha I like your words "of course it will end up in the blog" make me laugh out loud here. Marilyn Monroe is so beautiful, if she is still alive at this time this actress that they thought they are beautiful will run out their money just to get by with M.M. ^_^ Thanks for sharing Kathy!

Unknown said...

My family says that about photos ending up on my blog too. A great outlay of photos. He should of named his place Marilyn's Place. I enjoyed this.
QMM

Brett Payne said...

I'm not so sure a bull would be suitable to ride, let alone have in a parade, but with a ring in its nose, perhaps a little more docile than most.

Marilyn, blush - I think it unlikely!

Unknown said...

What a trip back in time, Marilyn and all those poses! Seeing the Lustre Cream shampoo ad really made me smile. They just don't make 'em like that anymore. Lots of photos of the great blonde. One of my favorite old movies is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I wonder if she'd have been such an icon if she'd lived.

Alan Burnett said...

I wouldn't be first in the queue for riding that particular bull - but if the reward was to meet Marilyn Monroe even I might be a little tempted. What an enjoyable post that was.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I don't think there's anything that would persuade me to ride a bull! I do agree that Marilyn was the original blond bombshell. There was really nobody else quite like her, before or after.

Gloria said...

Forget about Marilyn! Where's some pics of the "FOOD" you ate??? LOL! ;)
Best,
Gloria

Mike Brubaker said...

Are there any photos in the restaurant of Joe DiMaggio or Arthur Miller?

Liz Stratton said...

Marilyn definitely had the 'come hither look' nailed!

Unknown said...

I personally consider Jean Harlow to be he first Bombshell, she even played in a movie called Bombshell. Nice pictures!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thanks everybody! Glad you enjoyed this post. I appreciate all of your comments.

Gloria, uh, we weren't eating that night, the kitchen was closed by the time we got there. Their food is fine though, Christine. Mike, no, mostly pics of Phil as the starring male. Kim and Queenmama ... were would we be without our family for blog models, lol? Ron Howard, lol, Patti? I don't know, you guys, do you think that bull was drugged? The saddle doesn't look too sturdy.

PattyF said...

What a great post! Phil certainly has quite a collection of Marilyn photos and memorabilia; like you, I think the painting with Marilyn and "the boys" is my favorite.

Thanks so much for sharing this. It looks like you had a great time "researching" this post, too!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":