Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Visit Central Oregon: Sparks Lake and Photographer Ray Atkeson

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Last month, on my drive down Cascade Lakes Highway, I stopped by the side of the road and took some pictures of Sparks Lake and Mount Bachelor. 

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

There was a roadside marker at the turnout, and it spoke of Ray Atkeson, a famous photographer.  In 1987, Ray was awarded a laureate, the first photographer to ever receive this honor.  Ray seems to have loved Sparks lake as his favorite place ever.

Source:  Ray Atkeson.com
To learn more about Ray, please "CLICK HERE" for the Wikipedia article about his life, after you are done here at Oregon Gifts.  There is also a beautiful website about his work and life at "RAY ATKESON.COM".

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Please slide the bar at the bottom of your screen over to read the rest of these plaques.  Thank you!
Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

After Ray died, a memorial hiking trail in his name was created on the 400 acre Sparks Lake.  The hiking trail is reported to be an easy hike, and is a 2.3 mile loop.  The first half mile is wheelchair accessible.

I am sorry to say that I didn't drive down to the lake itself the day that I was there.  You need to follow the signs to the boat ramp, and it was getting late in the day and I was alone, so I just went to the first campground where Soda Creek is instead.  

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
(Please "CLICK HERE" to read more about the interesting flood of 1966 that effected Soda Creek.)

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

That is Mt. Bachelor in the background.  There are also beautiful views of South Sister and Broken Top available.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Here are some more links that will give you great pictures and info about Sparks Lake and the Ray Atkeson Memorial Hiking Trail:



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

3 comments:

Bruno Laliberté said...

nice view!!
I might relocate to Mt Bachelor...
;)~
HUGZ

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh Oregon is truly God's country. Beautiful shots. We will vacation there next July to visit family and I am always so sad to leave.

Anonymous said...

This could be the greatest piece of writing on the net...

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":