Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Wichita, Kansas: Old Town



The Older Part of Old Town:


This place was so cool.  It reminded me of the French Quarter in New Orleans in an odd sort of way.  There are so many bars and restaurants crammed into a 3 or 4 block area.  We stayed at the Hotel at Old Town and I will do separate post on that later.


The old brick was so pretty!


My best friend husband strolling down the cobblestone street.


I love the old buildings.  Be careful when you cross the street though.  The drivers do not slow down or stop, even if you are in a marked crosswalk.  I wondered what would happen if I started running and tripped in the middle of the road?  Slow down you people, peds rule where I come from.


There are many galleries and gift shops.

I wonder why they bricked in the windows?


There used to be shops underground, but 
this was all closed down now.


There were garbage cans, but no ashtrays.

The fire escape stairs were slightly moving, 
up and down, up and down.


Heroes has great food and atmosphere.  I will do a slide show on the Blues Festival soon.  Kids are welcome in bars around here.


The Loft is a nice place.  Huge, with its own brewery.

The museum is right across the street from The Loft.



The Newer Part of Old Town:








A couple of blocks from our hotel, there is a movie theater and a mall designed to meld in with the older part of town. 






The movie theater.













The shopping center.  There is a even a police station located there, for your convenience.











Cary, window shopping.  Everything was closed until 10:00 or 11:00 that morning.
















The restaurant at the movie theater.















More of the mall.













There were sculptures 
all over the place.




















There were lots of flowers.
















There was also one particular huge wasp that landed on Cary's face.  We are so glad that he didn't get stung.








Several stores were available for shopping.  I would have gone into this one if it was open.  Pretty!











A window display 
from the same store.













There were several large aviation engineering headquarters in Old Town.  Airbus occupied a couple of large buildings.  We were told that many of the engineers working for Airbus were from different countries.




This is a destination spot.  The people are so friendly, the food and drinks are cheap, and you don't need a car.  It is located 15 minutes from the airport by taxi ($18.00).  Staying in Old Town was a lot of fun.

(Remember, you can click on these photos to enlarge them.) 


4 comments:

BECKY said...

I just love it that you post so many photos of your trips, Kathy! I always feel as if I'm right there with you...and wish that I was! I've been to Wichita, but it's been many years....and I swear, I never saw these areas!! Very nice!!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, Becky! If you get the chance, go to Old Town. Wait until you see the pictures of the Hotel in Old Town, (I will try and post them tomorrow) and they only charged us $125.00 a night. It is gorgeous, and everything is just right there.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

These photos remind me of many Georgia towns. I love the "main streets" with the old brick etc. So much nicer to stroll and shop than going to the mall. Very nice.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Lisa,

I love places like this too ... someday I hope we can come to meet you and Becky in person and explore your towns. This trip made me realize that I should maybe really concentrate on the down towns and old houses of where we go. I wish La Pine was prettier than it is. Bend, Sisters and Redmond have nice downtowns though.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":