Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Recent Reads: "The Memory Keeper's Daughter"


Source:  Bing Images

Okay, folks, it is book review time once again.  I just finished reading "The Memory Keepers Daughter" by Kim Edwards, c. 2005


This is an excellent book, but it wasn't always easy to keep going and plough through.  I will let you know that all's well that ends well, despite the tension that is created all the way through the story. 

The story is about a doctor, his wife, his son, his daughter, his nurse, and a few other folks who are supporting characters; beginning in 1964.  Because of his own issues and fears, when the doctor delivers his own children in the middle of a huge snowstorm and discovers that there are two instead of one, and that the baby girl has Downs Syndrome, he decides to give the baby to a home and tells his wife that she was born dead. 

We follow the people in the story over the next 25 years.  Kim Edwards has done an incredible job of developing her characters, and I doubt that I will forget any of them for a long, long time.  On top of that she weaves in history, schooling children with disabilities, photography, relationships, and the damage that huge secrets can cause inside a family unit.  

I was always relieved with the focus on the wife was over with for awhile though, because that chick made me nervous.  I never knew what she was going to do. 

I must say, this is a brilliant book and I give it two thumbs up.

~ Kathy M. 


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.  Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

4 comments:

tony said...

Sounds Like A Very Interesting Book.A Will Look Out For It In My Local Library.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

I read this on vacation two summers ago, and really enjoyed it! I saw the movie (made for TV if memory serves me...no pun intended), but the book was far better. Nice review!

Linda Reeder said...

This may be too close to home for me, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the review.

Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks for an enticing review. I will give it a look.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":