Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Writing In The Buff ~ Book Blurb Friday #10 :

 Photo Source: Becky Povich


The Pools of Serenity
by Kathy Matthews

Sister Maria was in desperate need of some peace, stillness and spending time alone with her Lord.  She was walking towards her favorite retreat, the Pools of Serenity, nestled inside the local city park.

Ever since the gangs had infiltrated the public schools in her mid-sized town, more and more families were opting for St. Joseph’s, the parochial school where she taught.  Some of the children who trusted her enough to confide had huge problems.  Amber had the age-old problem of being pregnant at 15; Skylar’s mother was a meth addict and he was now being raised by his grandmother, and it had just been discovered that Sierra had been sexually abused for years before it had been stopped.

Arriving at the pools, the green waters soothed her spirit as Sister sat down, closed her eyes and asked the Lord what she could do to help these precious kids.  (149)


I am participating in Lisa's Book Blurb Friday, from over at Writing in the Buff.   It is fun, and you can play too!  Pretend that the picture on the top of this post is the cover of a book.  On the inside jacket, you have 150 words to entice the reader to buy your book.  Lisa gives us a week to think about next week's entry (she's gracious like that).  Please CLICK HERE  to read what everybody else wrote!


If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

13 comments:

Margo Benson said...

Oh, how lovely! The potential for so many tales out of a tranquil visit to the water is terrific.

Tony Benson said...

This sounds like a story that would really touch the heartstrings. Well written.

jabblog said...

This sounds like a heart-wrenching story and one that's lived all over the world where children are abused and neglected.

Kay L. Davies said...

I wouldn't want to be Sister, faced with all those problems, but your blurb definitely allows for the possibility of a positive ending! I would want to find out how she does it.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Ms.Daisy said...

I love that you chose a nun as the protagonist of your story who will then tell the tales of these young, abused kids. It is a heart grabber for sure!


~Jean

Tammy said...

The blurb is so moving that the book itself promises to be unforgettable. Love the title!

Susan Fobes said...

This was fantastic. What a painful tale this would be to tell, but you are starting off so well!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

This will bring me to tears, but I buy it anyway because it promises to be so uplifting. Lovely! So many individual stories and one very caring woman who believes she can make a difference. You've got a winner, Kathy!

Jenners said...

This is so sad but I hope that Sister Maria finds a way to help these poor lost kids.

Lynn said...

A heart tugger for sure! Nice job.

liberal sprinkles said...

I love this blurb Kathy, it's so touching and the stories so realistic I can even visualize the characters. I don't know if I would read the book though, it's too close to reality. I now mostly read non-challenging (on the emotions) books as a sort of escape from the grinds of daily living. It's very shallow of me!
best wishes,
Grace

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, everybody, for your sweet and encouraging comments. If I ever do write this, I will do like Lisa says and make it inspiring and about resilience. I won't focus on any yucky details. Grace, I understand what you are saying, but if I ever do write a book, I sure would like you to read it!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Someone HAS to tell the hard tales, because the kids often cannot...

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":