Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Recent Reads: The Lovely Bones and Everything's Eventual

Source:  Bing Images

I have decided that I really like my low-cost method of building our home library.  Once a month or so, I go to the thrift store or library sale, and spend around $10.  Since reading and watching baseball are my mainstays of relaxing, I figure that is pretty darn cheap.   After my shopping spree, I come home, put my new-to-me books on the shelf.  When it is time for a new book, I see which one jumps out at me and go for it.  

Here are my latest second-hand book finds that turned out to be wonderful new friends.  The first one, The Lovely Bones, was written in 2002 by Alice Sebold. 

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

It does deal with a serial killer.  It is told through the voice of  Susie, the young girl who died.  It is not gross, and it is not scary.  There is intrigue and suspense, but it isn't like Silence of the Lambs or anything.  There is abundant insight regarding family and friends; their feelings and the impact that Susie's sudden death has made on each of them.  I really like the fresh view of Heaven and life-after- death thing that Alice Sebold gives us.  I found myself thinking, well, that makes sense.  It could be that way.  

I guess that there is a movie from the book, but I haven't seen it either.  (I am so out of touch with movies these days that it is unreal.)  For those of you who have read the book and seen the movie, what did you think?  

I recommend this book.  I want to keep it forever and ever, but I am going to loan it to my BFF Nancy first.  It sure was worth the $2.00.


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


This book cost me .75, and I had never even heard of it either.  Oh well, all in good time, I suppose.  I did take about 10 years off from Mr. King, and he wrote a lot of books in 10 years.  I don't think he can help it, anymore than I can help taking pictures. So, anyway, Everything's Eventual is a collection of short stories that Stephen King wrote over time.  

His introduction alone, "Practicing the (Almost) Lost Art" is worth the full price of the book.  This comes from page xvi, and I quote (duh!):

"I've continued to write short stories over the years, partly because the ideas still come from time to time -- beautifully compressed ideas that cry out for three thousand words, maybe nine thousand , fifteen thousand at the very most -- and partly because it's the way I affirm, at least to myself, the fact that I haven't sold out, no matter what the more unkind critics may think.  Short stories are still piecework, the equivalent of those one-of-a-kind items you can buy in an artisan's shop.  If, that is, you are willing to be patient and wait while it's made by hand in the back room." ~ Stephen King


Stephen talks of how many forms of writing have been lost over time, including plays and many magazines.  But, apparently, poetry never goes out of fashion, or good novels.  He wrote this book in 2002, and discusses how well things first went with his online publishing of "Riding the Bullet".  It is always interesting when Mr. King writes right to us, his dear readers; as if he is sitting across the restaurant table explaining his thoughts.

Not only do we get a great story in each chapter, but after each short story is done, Mr. King gives us writing tips, and how he came up with his idea for the story itself.  I love it.

I just figured out what I was doing in 2002 ... I was a single mom, working part-time, going to school full-time and reading school books instead of books for fun.  I missed a whole bunch of good new books, apparently.  Glad I get to read them now!


Take care,


Kathy M.

If you enjoyed this post, you will enjoy Baja Greenawalt's blog!  
Just  "CLICK HERE" to get there.


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

7 comments:

liberal sprinkles said...

I like your thrifty way of building a library, Kathy. I don't have much of one anymore, I get most of my books from the library!

Thanks for your visits to my blog :) Glad you enjoyed the ode to Hitchcock and the poetry bombing videos. I love that yarn graffiti thing you talked about. Very cool! Unfortunately I don't see much of such stimulating creative activities where I am!

G

Maude Lynn said...

I think I'll pick up The Lovely Bones. Sounds really good!

Arkansas Patti said...

We have similar interests, baseball and books.
I enjoyed Lovely Bones but totally hated her follow up book The Almost Moon. Buy that one with caution.
I have only read one Stephen King, The Dome and really loved it. A friend of mine had him for an instructor and he refused to sign anyone's year book for he said his signature would one day be worth a lot of money.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Mama Zen,

I really did like it. I'm still thinking about the people, wondering how things are going, and it has been about a week now. Thats when I know it is a good book.

Hi Patti,

I noticed that about us! Not all Stephen King is gory ... The Green Mile is really good, and I really enjoyed The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (more of a psychological thriller than a horror book).

Lynn said...

I enjoyed Lovely Bones. Since my husband knows I believe in life after death, he was so sweet to really find the "perfect" book for me... except he didn't know I had already read it! And I really like Stephen King, but I don't think I've read Everything's Eventual - and since you said he talks about writing in it, I think I'll have to take a peek at that one!

Lesa said...

Hi Kathy! BBB is up-- sorry about missing it for a few weeks. Please come link up your post.

I haven't read Lovely Bones or watched the movie-- glad you liked it. I'll keep an eye out for a bargain copy.

What a coincidence-- I just got a bargain copy of a King book of short stories. Mine is titled Skeleton Crew and will feature in a BBB post soon.

I'm so pleased to have met a fellow kindred spirit bargain book lover!

Hugs!

DeLynne said...

I had avoided the Lovely Bones because it just sounded too yukky for my delicate sensibilities, but now I will keep an eye open for it. You have assured me that it won't give me nightmares!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":