Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bath Salt Experiment Tutorial:

My girls gave me some bath salts for Christmas.  They really help to soften our hard water and make my skin feel soft and silky.  

I ran out, and wondered how hard it would be to make bath salts.  I read the back of  one of the containers and it said that the main ingredients were mineral salt and almond oil.  I thought, hey, I have those things laying around, lets just see what I can do.  So, last night, I got my act together and proceeded to document my experiment in my own fine photojournalism style so that the entire experience could be shared with you.



Source:  Bing

This is kind of what I have in mind for the end result of my bath salt project.  Except that I was thinking my bags would be made of muslin, and my salt is crushed, not rock.  I used Kosher Salt and the salt shown in these bags is Himalayan (I have never even heard of it before ... where do you have to go to buy that, I wonder?)  I didn't know anything about the differences in salt, nor did I even wonder about it my whole life, until now.  Hmmm....


Step #1 - Gather Your Stuff:


  Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

The Kosher Salt cost me $1.99 at the grocery store.  The Almond Oil was around $7.00, though I probably could get it cheaper someplace else.  So, this project cost me $8.99, not including the bags.   I love it when I can do math on here and it it comes out right.  I read someplace that when you are making your herbal and or other stuff like this, you are supposed to use glass, stainless or enameled containers.  In other words, just about anything but aluminum.


Step #2:  Pour the salt into the pan:

   Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Step #3 -  Add all the almond oil:

   Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


Step #4 - Stir until every piece of salt is covered with oil:


   Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
 I hope that this whisk is made of stainless and not aluminum.


Step #5 - Look over your work:

   Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews
Nice!


Step #6 - Put a paper towel over it until you can figure out your next step and go to bed: 

   Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Step #7 - When you get up the next morning and figure out that the salt is never going to dry when it is 2"   deep and covered with oil,  put it on those plastic sheets that go inside your food dehydrator trays.  Set the food dehydrator on the highest heat, the setting for jerky:

   Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

If you can't tell by now, I am winging this as I go.  One thought and thing leads to another.  I figure that this will take at least 12 hours to dry, since the veggies from the other day took 8 (and they were spread out and not soaking wet).  Maybe our house will smell like almond oil all day long?  That would be nice.

I could have just put this mixture into small canning jars and used it wet, but I want to be able to put it into little bags.  I am going to fill some of my little muslin bags with oatmeal too, for a soothing bath time experience.   Now I am going to have to make time for sewing all those bags that I have such big plans for!


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

3 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Holy-moly. You really ARE the Energizer Bunny, aren't you! LOL My goodness, but you are brave to take on so many projects. I wish we lived closer because I'd love to sit with you over a cup of coffee. You're such a cool lady!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

I wish that we lived closer together too. I really like you.

That project was super easy. After drying that concoction for hours, I have decided that I will go ahead and put it into jelly jars.

I have decided that my sewing and crafting isn't going to happen unless I do it (duh!) and if I wait for it to happen when I have time then it probably won't. So I am pushing myself to do something creative besides my blog every other day.

:>)

Dead Sea Salt said...

Thanks for sharing the steps n how to make the bath salt. It is very helpful to us especially to those who want to use this product.:)

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":