Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Easy Pot Roast Tutorial:

 Easy Pot Roast

I prepared this pot roast on Sunday evening and put it in the fridge overnight before cooking it yesterday afternoon.  I didn't take as many photos as I should have on this one, but it is pretty self-explanatory.  I actually used a packet of fajita mix, though this mesquite mix would have done well too.  I mixed the fajita mix in 2 cups of hot water.  If I would have had a can of beer, I would have used that instead of water.  Beer tenderizes the meat, and the alcohol burns off.  But we haven't had any beer around here for awhile.

Kathy Matthews, April 2011

Next, I took a big fork and poked holes all over the meat so that the marinade would soak in.  I place the roast with the fat on top, hoping that it would soak into the meat too.  Then, I placed baby carrots on the side and chunks of red onions on top.  Then I put all of this in the fridge:

Kathy Matthews, April 2011

When it was time to cook it the next day, I sliced some potatoes and put them on top of everything else.  I placed the casserole dish on top of a baking sheet, just in case everything spilled over.  That way, the oven wouldn't get so messy.  I did not preheat the oven, because the dish was cold, and I wanted it to heat up along with the oven so that it would not crack.  I don't know if it would have, but that is just the way I think about things ... how to prevent disaster:

Kathy Matthews, April 2011

I had room on my baking sheet for the rest of the potatoes in the bag, so I decided to bake them along with my roast.  They were beginning to grow eyes, and I knew that if I didn't cook them then, I would probably ending up throwing them away.  Besides, I have decided that having baked potatoes on hand in the fridge is a good thing.  You can used them in so many ways.  The other day I used some for scalloped potatoes and potato salad.  Or you can chop them up and use them for hashbrowns.  Some people use forks to poke holes in the potatoes so that they won't explode, but I use a knife and cut a split in the top.  I got tired of bent forks about 10 years ago.  They bug me:

Kathy Matthews, April 2011

I turned the oven on to 400*, put everything in there, and cooked it all for about 2 hours.  This is how the roast looked when I was done:

Kathy Matthews, April 2011

And, this is how the veggi's looked:

Kathy Matthews, April 2011

This is how everything looked on the plate.  It was very, very good!:

Kathy Matthews, April 2011
Enjoy!



If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was lucky to find this oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy.blogspot.com web site.
I have to say that it's a wondrous blog! I like how comprehensive each of the entries are. They are well balanced - funny and informational - and the pictures are cool too.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It looks mouthwateringly wonderful, Kathy!

Now for an embarrassing question . . . If I wanted to make the same roast, what cut of meat would I ask for at the butcher's? *blush*

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

JMJ ... it is a Beef Round Boneless Rump Roast. I knew that I should have put that on there! There are no silly questions, lol ... good thing wrapper was still in the kitchen garbage can!

Gloria said...

Yum! This looks delicious, Kathy. I am going to have to try this with one of the dry mixes you suggested. Thanks for the tip! And now I have a tip for you: Even when your potatoes have eyes, don't ever throw them out. They are still good. Just peel the potatoes, use the knife tip to get out the 'eye' if it's in a little deeper, then you can cut the peeled potatoes and do two things: cut them, boil them, drain them, and make mashed potatoes OR, peel them and cut them and mix them with Lipton Onion Soup Mix and oil and roast them in the oven (recipe is on the Lipton's dried onion soup mix box). I LOVE potatoes roasted with the onion soup mix! They come out DELICIOUS! Try it, you'll like it! ;)
Best,
Gloria

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":