Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Book Blurb Friday #44: "Turtles Can Wait"

 Photo Source: An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

"Turtles Can Wait"
by Kathy Matthews

Lily T. Hunter was now ten.  Just in case you are wondering, the "T" stands for "Turtle", named after that little girl in The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven, her Mom's favorite books.  Lucky for those involved in her naming, Lily really did enjoy finding turtles in the pond on her grandparents property in Central Washington. 

This morning, Lily packed her lunch, her turtle hunting gear and the digital camera that she had gotten from Santa.  She kissed her Grandma goodbye. 

As she walked down the trail to the pond, Lily breathed in the scent of the pretty flowers on what she thought of as the "Fairy Bush".  She stopped, sat down and crossed her legs crisscross applesauce.  She also took out her camera.  Lily had seen fairies here before, but had never asked to take their picture.  There's a first time for everything, and the turtles could wait.  (150)


Man, this one fell right into place.  I might even write it.  Enjoy your New Years Weekend, and Go Ducks!


Kathy M.

Oh, there seem to be a few questions about crisscross applesauce.  It used to be called, (politically incorrectly) as sitting "Indian Style".  Here is a video on how to do it the right way:






I am participating in Lisa's Book Blurb Friday, from over at Writing in the Buff.   It is fun, and you can play too!  Pretend that the picture on the top of this post is the cover of a book.  On the inside jacket, you have 150 words to entice the reader to buy your book.  Lisa gives us a week to think about next week's entry (she's gracious like that).  Please CLICK HERE  to read what everybody else wrote!


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

11 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

I am reminded of the little Victorian girls who photographed fairies! Their efforts proved to be a fraud (almost), but I'm sure your tale must spin off into something much more ethereal and gripping. I would read it.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Awesome blurb! I loved it from start to finish, and the "crisscross applesauce" tickled me. Every kid will know just what that means. :) This has the potential to be a terrific story! I hope you DO write it.

forgetmenot said...

Just wanted to wish you a Happy New Year full of many blessings. I always love to come visit your blogs. Mickie :)

Tammy said...

I hope you do write it. I love fairies, and this one sounds positively enchanting!

BECKY said...

Kathy, that is a great book blurb! And since you said it came so easy, I think that means you should really turn it into a book! Or at least a short story!

Arkansas Patti said...

Gee, I hope you do. All your blurbs would make good books and you toss them out for free.
Have a wonderful 2012.

Hootin Anni said...

"crisscross applesauce"...I like that. I loved the whimsical theme you got going here on your blurb!!

Oh, and I've made a note to watch the game from San Antonio [hoping it'll be televised here]!!


There's a 'WAR' in Texas

Happy New Year to you and your family. May 2012 bring you everything you wish for in the coming days.

Kim Lehnhoff said...

You really should write this.

Am I the only one who never heard "crisscross applesauce" before?

I'm thinking a series of books, with a fairy as Turtle's sidekick.

Kay L. Davies said...

I've never heard "crisscross applesauce" before but it sure is cute, as is your entire blurb. I love it. Add my vote to those who think you should write the book so we can buy it!
Wishing you the best for the coming year, Kathy!
— K

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, everybody! I'll take your suggestions into consideration ... Kim, I think a fairy girl AND a pet turtle who can only talk to Lily!

Kathy

Grandma's Goulash said...

This would make a wonderful story, Kathy. Your blurb engaged me immediately. I'd love reading the book and I'm betting my granddaughter would too.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":