Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Morning Oregonian, Tuesday, January 1, 1918: "Oregon Troops Are Officered by Efficient Men"





Hello, Friends!

It has been a busy week around the Matthews household, and it is hard to believe that Saturday is here once again.  Before we get started, I have finished posting the rest of the Shaniko and Toppenish mural photos this week.  If you want to see them, just go to my home page and scroll down.  Some of them turned out pretty neat.
  
This week's Sepia Saturday theme centers around men in uniform, posing for pictures.  

Among the items to be found in my family's collection of  "The Letsom Letters", the perfect thing shouted out to me. This is front and back of an insert from a 1918 copy of The Oregonian newspaper.  It was so big that I had to thumbtack it to the wall and take pictures of it instead of scanning, so the quality isn't very good on this post.  I can scan smaller portions or get this scanned if anybody needs me to.  Even I think that this item should probably be in a museum, or at least between two pieces of glass (instead of in a neatly labeled Ziplock bag.)

I went ahead and enlarged these for better viewing.  I know that this can be annoying in some cases, especially if you are trying to read this post from your phone, but we might as well be able to study these guys in earnest.   I am posting a smaller picture, followed by a close up.  Just scroll down to the next one if you don't want to bother with a huge one.  #1 (a) and #2 (a) are the smaller versions.

#1 (a):

 

#1 (b):


#1 (c):



#2 (a):





#2 (b):


Our family does have a story about Uncle Boyd F. Traylor, brother to my great-grandfather Albert Ivan Traylor.


Boyd F. Traylor


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Boyd F. Traylor, brother to  Albert Ivan Traylor (my great-grandfather), was the 5th child born to George William Traylor and Mary Frances Beeson Traylor.  He was born May 25, 1892 and died May 25, 1919.  Boyd served in World War I, survived it and was on his way back home to see his family when he was struck and killed by a street car in Portland.   Boyd is buried in the North Drain Cemetery in Drain, Oregon near his mother.

There were a total of nine children in George and Mary's family:


So, there you are, my friends.  If you enjoyed this story, please visit my Sepia Saturday friends by "CLICKING HERE" to find other neat photos and stories.  To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more, please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar and read whatever else catches your fancy.  Thanks so much for visiting!

~ Kathy M. 

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

14 comments:

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

You get the grand prize for biggest group photos. These are wonderful. As always, an interesting and enjoyable read.

Wendy said...

Wow -- that's a great newspaper keepsake, but please find some archival way to preserve that brittle old newspaper. And that's just the worst war story ever -- to fight in the war, be spared from gassing, and then get hit by a street car. What are the odds??

Postcardy said...

How ironic to survive the war and then be struck be a streetcar.

Kathy said...

That is a prize-winning group of men in uniform! Enjoyed it!

21 Wits said...

It's so sad to come home and meet your ends with a street car or worse. After all that bravery, it's just a shame. I can't believe what a treasure you have, and yes you could just loan it out from time to time in various museums. It's just the kind of thing that tour groups, children field trips and the everyday historian likes to see in real life, and not just in a book. Amazing, and I too use zip-lock bags for lots of things. Some of my old albums survived better with nothing than those plastic covered sticky sheeted albums I had far too many of. Sadly for my photos! You managed to send us off in another sepia wonderland, thanks!

Queen Bee said...

Wonderful collection of photos in the two-page newspaper clipping. Imagine a historical society in your area would love to have a copy of it. Such a sad story about your uncle. Imagine his family was devastated and rightly so.

Anonymous said...

It was a excitement locating your site yesterday. I came here right hoping to learn something new. And I was not dissatisfied. Your well thought out ideas for new events like this. Thank you for this idea and sharing your knowledge.

Peter said...

Those pictures are so clear that many of these man may still be recognized by their (great) grandchildren. My experience with even younger papers is that eventually they start crumbling, if that is the right expression. So I hope you will be able to preserve this piece of history. A historic post with a sad ending...

Little Nell said...

Wonderful, and I'm sure a museum would appreciate it. I bet you spent ages poring over the details in this. That's so sad to die in an accident after surviving the war. It reminds me of my own great uncle who survived and then died of Spanish flu whilst waiting to be demobbed in 1919.

Bob Scotney said...

What great photos; they must be preserved. I'm sure a museum would be only too ready to help - probably in exchange for a loan.

Anonymous said...

That are great photos on the newspapers. I hope you can manage to preserve them in one way or the other. Thanks for sharing.

Jana Iverson Last said...

What remarkable newspapaper photos! It's so cool that the newspaper printed these.

It's unbelievable that Boyd survived the war only to be killed by a streetcar! And on his way home to see his family too! His family must have been devastated. I can just imagine them waiting at home in anxious anticipation to welcome him only to learn the news of his death. Truly tragic!

Kat Mortensen said...

Wow! Kathy, I hope you have a good pair of white gloves!

I agree, these should be behind glass, or in a museum. Have you considered connecting with the "History Detectives"? I bet there are a few people out there who would love to see these.

Kat

Bruno Laliberté said...

Rather ironic to survive military service only to be it by a car...

How great is that to have these old documents, and in good shape!!
I'm amazed how well they are preserved.
:)~
HUGZ

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":