Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A-Z Challenge: "H" is for Herb Twopence

File:Lysimachia nummularia0.jpg
Source: Wikipedia





Join Us in the 2013 A-Z Challenge!

During the month of April, I am participating in the "Blogging From A-Z April 2012 Challenge", where we post everyday during the month of April (except for Sundays).  Daily posts begin with the next letter of the alphabet.  This is my third year of participating in the challenge.  "CLICK HERE" to find out more.

This year, I have chosen to do a study on poet and artist, Cicely Mary Barker.  I am featuring her book "A Flower Fairy Alphabet"Not only will you learn about pretty flowers, but I will also be giving you a few fun facts about Ms. Barker each day.

 


Demure and smiling teen girl with braided hair looking to her left
Source: Wikipedia's Article on Cicely Mary Barker

"Fairies became a popular theme in art and literature in the early 20th century following the releases of The Coming of the Fairies by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie, and the fairy-themed work of Australian Ida Rentoul Outhwaite. Queen Mary made such themes even more popular by sending Outhwaite postcards to friends during the 1920s. In 1918, Barker produced a postcard series depicting elves and fairies.[2][4]"
Source: Wikipedia's Article on Cicely Mary Barker



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

7 comments:

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

I LOVE C.M.B.! I am so happy with this theme! :)))
Happy A to Z!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Oh, I wish I could find a fairy under the herbs. I'm still such a child. :)

Bethe77 said...

Love that you are sharing about this writer and flowers. What beautiful art work. I love the fairies in the art work!
Beautiful and fun!
Blessings

Little Nell said...

That's a clever idea to take the books as your challenge. I'll try to pop in and read as many as I can, but with so many of my favorite bloggers doing the A-Z I can't promise to keep up and leave a comment. I hope you'll forgive me.

Wendy said...

I'm glad the poem gave me some alternative names -- Creeping Jenny is familiar.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Hi Kathy - I can't link to your "iris" page--Google tells me it doesn't exist. I'm glad I found this one, though. :) I love fairies! I have a porcelain Tinkerbell my daughter brought me from Disney World, and another fairy sitting on a flower, also a gift. You hit me just right with today's post. :)

Elizabeth said...

What a nice theme for the A-Z. Very enjoyable.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":