Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"On to Oregon Cavalcade" ~ April 1959 - August 1959


In 1959, the State of Oregon celebrated it's 100th birthday.  One of the birthday anniversary celebrations included a reenactment of coming over the Oregon Trail in covered wagons.  It was called the "On To Oregon Cavalcade".

The group began their journey in Independence, Missouri on April 20, 1959 and got to Independence, Oregon on August 15, 1959.  They used roads, which cut a couple of months off of their time compared to the original journey.

When the wagons were near Boardman, Oregon on Highway 30, my Great-Uncle John drove sixty miles out of his way in 90* heat to watch and take the picture of the group.  He cracks me up, as he is complaining tongue-in-cheek about his sacrifice in doing so.  

I wish that I knew who was driving the wagon in the last photo.  The wagon cover says, "On to Drain, Gateway to the Oregon Coast".   This was just such a special find, and I didn't even know anything about this until I found these photos in The Letsom Letters.  Drain is where my Mom's side of the family is from.

This is my second post this week for Sepia Saturday.  To see my one that is on theme, please click on this link:  "Going Out In Drain, Oregon".


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews




This is a Sepia Saturday post.  To see stories of others old photos or to post yourself, please "CLICK HERE" .  To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more. please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar and read whatever else catches your fancy.  Thanks so much for visiting! 

~ Kathy M.




At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.  Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

10 comments:

Little Nell said...

This is just the sort of history I enjoy learning about from your blog Kathy. A wonderful find!

Unknown said...

I love these pics. What an adventure they must have had that day. Gateway to the Oregon Coast...I've been to Oregon's coast and it is truly one of the most spectacular places on Earth.

North County Film Club said...

I really enjoyed the film. Abe Lincoln was even there! Amazing.
Nancy

Bob Scotney said...

If it weren't for the tarmac road and the white lines you could almost believe that these wagon trains were from much longer ago.

Postcardy said...

Since the photos have been carefully preserved, I think it was worth it to go out of the way to get the photos. The notes on the back add to the interest.

Joy said...

I was wondering about Drain from your other post, I like the title "gateway to the Oregon coast" because I have a postcard in the shape of Oregon, and yes it has a picture of the coast on the front. Your uncle's comment is so funny, guess that would be the thoughts of the pioneers as well, LOL.

Alan Burnett said...

Yes, you always give us a fine introduction to the history of your part of the world. Fascinating material.

21 Wits said...

Covered wagons, too cool! On to drain....what history you unfold for us! Thanks

Unknown said...

Oh somewhere in my collection I have some more current wagon trains in CA. Thanks for stirring my memory. Do you know why the town is named "Drain"?

Christine H. said...

That 'On to Drain' wagon is great!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":