Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving and Sepia Saturday #153:




Hope that you all had a great day on Thursday, whether you celebrated Thanksgiving or not.  This picture is of my Great-Great Aunt Myra Hedrick (who was married to John Hedrick) ... she raised turkeys in Drain, Oregon for a while.  Someday I will do a post about that, and about how the Yoncalla and Drain area was in the turkey business for awhile.



I am sorry that I have been away from Sepia Saturday for so long.  Between a broken computer for 2 1/2 weeks and then getting a new one and trying to figure out Windows 8, plus going on vacation ... I have been behind on my whole blog.  It is a struggle to get back into routine.

The two little girls in the prompt for this week's Sepia Saturday post reminded me so much of my Granny and Aunt.  Last year, I posted about my Great-Grandmother Talitha Letsom Hedrick and her slightly older sister, Martha Letsom Harris.  I am going to fill in more blanks on that post and recycle it for today.  Though some of you have already seen it, it just matches so well for today's prompt.  To read the post, please click here: "Sepia Saturday #90: Sisters Martha Letsom Harris and Talitha Letsom Hedrick"




As I was adding to the post about the Letsoms above, I figured out who the woman was in this post:  Ellen Conley, Ft. Bidwell, Surpise Valley, California.  Ellen was Amanda Ellen Letsom Conley, Martha and Talitha's half -sister!  Way cool; another puzzle piece put together. 

So, there you are, my friends.  If you enjoyed this story, please visit my Sepia Saturday friends by "CLICKING HERE" to find other neat photos and stories.  To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more, please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar and read whatever else catches your fancy.  Thanks so much for visiting!


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

15 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

Fun photo! I hope your day was fun and delicious.

Unknown said...

Your GG-Aunt Myra was something else! Great shot...and I keep forgetting how unattractive turkeys really are...tasty, for sure, but not particularly good-looking!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Hope you had a wonderful Turkey Day!

Kathy said...

I look forward to hearing more about the turkeys, but this picture is adorable! I can't get over those hats.

Bob Scotney said...

Turkeys in the UK don't yet know that their time is running out. There are some big birds in your photo but none can ever match the beauty of the Letsom sisters.

Anonymous said...

Cute photo, and interesting hats :-) Jo

Peter said...

The hats do not seem to make Talitha and Martha any happier. Do you get along with Windows 8?

21 Wits said...

Oh I so know about those computer blues! Seems they don't last as long as they once did! Hope all is getting back to some sort of normal for you- I too need to adjust my own blog as my free space for photos is over! Hahahaha!I just adore that first family photo of all those turkies! What fun that must have been. Glad to see you back here...and I've been away and busy too, so I've missed you on facebook too! I'm hoping your Thanksgiving dinner was awesome too!

Little Nell said...

That photo is perfect for this week Kathy. I've been away too in England, visiting my family, and saying a last goodbye to my Dad, so it wasn't exactly a holiday (vacation). I'm glad to be back and using the blog to take my mind off things. I hope you get to grips with your new computer; there's always a lot of learning to do when you get a new one. Sit down with the manual and a big cup of coffee and walk your way through it all! i wish I could help but I know nothing of Windows these days having converted to a confirmed Mac lover three years ago.

Wendy said...

Are those real hats? I'm thinking: flower pot. Your turkey photo reminds me I have a bunch of turkey photos in the photo album belonging to my mother-in-law. Great -- I have next year's Thanksgiving post ready to go!

Jinksy said...

Children used to be so serious... do you think they were always scared of the camera? :)

Postcardy said...

I love the turkey photo. It's perfect for Thanksgiving.

Jana Iverson Last said...

The photo of Aunt Myra with the turkeys is just perfect for Thanksgiving! I hope you had a very happy Thanksgiving.

Little Talitha and Martha were wearing such interesting hats. They were such pretty little girls.

Kat Mortensen said...

How extraordinary that you have not only the two photos of them as children (with and without the hats), but also in their golden years! How lucky you are to have them all!

North County Film Club said...

What a cute photo. Those hats look very homemade. Do you think their mother made them?
Nancy

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":