Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Early Oregon Series: The Book Begins

Hello Friends,

Sometimes when it is time for me to learn something new, I take a long time to get my feet wet.  For example, when Cary got me my new camera a couple of years ago, I didn't start using it for quite a while.  I was afraid of it.  I knew how to use my "easy" one, so I let the new one just sit there for the first few months.  I was thrilled that Cary had believed in me and had spent the money on it, but I just wasn't ready to get down and dirty with that camera.  I had to get used to the idea for a while.  But when I did start using it, man, look at what happened!  My amateur photography career took off, and my blog became a lot more interesting.  Now I can't stop taking pictures for the life of me.


Well, a similar thing is now beginning to happen with me again, but this time it has to do with writing instead of photography.  I am so excited!  I began the research for my book last night and feel that it is all falling into place.  At the very least, I am getting ready to take the plunge.
  

It was a case of one thing leading to another, as it usually is for me.  God has been helping me take my little baby steps and they are now becoming strides.  It is interesting how participating in Postcardy Friendship Friday and Sepia Saturday are propelling me forward with this thrilling project.  At least it is thrilling to me.
  

It has been close to a year since I got my idea for a historical novel based on the history of some of my favorite places in Oregon.  I have a rough outline in my head, and have written some of it down.  I've told a few receptive people about it.  They are usually strangers who are politely listening but are really thinking, how do I get away from her?  Because it is a long book. Once I get going, they are stuck with me for awhile.  For example, my girl Kari listened politely and then said, "Mom, that sounds like a mini-series that I would really like to watch on t.v."  It could easily cover a whole season.
  

I have had some doubts.  A few little self-confidence issues to overcome.  I have never even submitted a short story for publication, so what makes me think that I can write a book as long as Gone With The Wind and that people will want to buy it?  What makes me think that somebody who is afraid of a new camera can really even write a book?  All I can say is, there is a story inside of me that needs to be told, and because it covers quite a bit of the settling and growing up of Oregon, well, I think that other people will want to read it.  If I can do a good enough job pulling it together.  One thing that I am good at and do enjoy is research.  I am looking at this project like one huge term paper, and term papers were something that I really did enjoy about college.
  

When I first started to pull things together last year, I was going about it in an opposite direction than I am now.  I had my ideas and was trying to research the facts to back up my story.  Now, I am researching the early history of Oregon and in doing so am creating my story.  My new motto is, "Write about what you know, and research what you don't."
  

When I learn some interesting bit of history or trivia, I will put it on here to share with you.  Anything that I may want to use in the future for my book will begin with "Early Oregon" on the title.  That way, they will be easy to find all in one spot.  Just go up to the very top left hand corner of my blog to the search bar and type in "Early Oregon", and you should find all my posts on historical Oregon.  Another category that I am starting is "Vintage Oregon", which is a time period in my mind that comes after "Early Oregon".  You will just need to be flexible with me on timelines here, as I get this figured out.  By the way, you can use that search tool for anything else too.  Like, "Tyler Matthews".
  

So, that is my news.  Thank you so much for listening.  I am so excited about this project.  I hope that I can really get it underway with few roadblocks.
  
Take care, God bless and have a wonderful Sunday!

~ Kathy





If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

4 comments:

Tuscola Today- Alysia and Syndee said...

Wow! That is so exciting! I know you can do it, I always love reading what you write. Don't worry, writing is all about re-writing and you can always get help punching up the final draft. Good luck to you. I pray it becomes an amazing journey. I wish it was already written since I'm a little obsessed with OR right now, hoping to move there some day.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Ah, my Energizer Bunny! LOL Nothing will stop you once you start, of that I'm certain, and you will excel. Please put my name on the list for an autographed copy. :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Oh, Lisa, you belief in me stirs me forward! I may only end up with 20 copies, but you will get one for sure! <3

Kathy A. Johnson said...

Good for you! Dive right in and tell your story. And keep us posted about your progress along the way.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":