Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A-Z Challenge Day #2 - The Letter "B" is for Brookhaven, Mississippi



Welcome!  From February 28 - March 16, my best friend husband Cary and I went on a trip.  From Eugene, we traveled to parts of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana.  I haven't blogged about it yet, and thought that highlighting our vacation would be the perfect way to participate in this year's Blogging from A-Z Challenge.  My blog isn't always about travel, but for the next month it will mainly feature travel photos and memories of our experience.

This is my fourth time participating in A-Z.  For those of you unfamiliar with the challenge, participants post daily during the month of April, except for on Sundays.  That gives us 26 posts for the month.  It is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. We visit the blogs of others who are taking the challenge, connecting with old friends and making new friends.


So, here we go on Day #2 with the Letter "B", which in this case stands for Brookhaven, Mississippi.


Click here to go to the A-Z Blogging Challenge Website.


"B" is for Brookhaven, Mississippi





On Tuesday March 10th, after spending the night in Vicksburg, Mississippi, Cary and I rolled into the sweet little city of Brookhaven.  We searched out historic old town, and rented a room at The Inn on Whitworth. (I will be featuring the hotel on Day #9, when we get to the letter "I").

Brookhaven is so clean, and the people are very friendly.  I don't know if there is a lot to do there, but if you enjoy old brick buildings and like to walk around and look at old houses, then you are in luck.  They have a little Civil War Museum in the old train depot, but it was closed when we arrived.  There are really good shops and several restaurants in this part of town.

Here are some photos that I took while walking around.  I will make a separate post in the near future featuring a few of the old houses that are quite beautiful.

There are many different styles of architecture represented in Brookhaven.  I noticed that in the south, brick is often used.

 



Here are a few photos of the old train depot turned museum:




 

The train still runs through town several times a day.  I guess that people are used to it and teach their children to stay away from the tracks.






A few of the businesses ...








I walked down the street to grab us a pizza at Fox's in the neat old building above.  That pizza was one of the best that we have ever eaten.



This is the store where you buy your prom and pageant dresses.  Pretty fancy!



 

Janie's Pastry is located right next door to our hotel.  On the other side of the hotel, there is a great hardware store with nice ladies who gave us directions to New Orleans.






There are some pretty neat old houses in Brookhaven.  Some are completely restored  like this one:




some are in the works, like this one ...



and, others have a ways to go:


In short, I loved this little town.  If it wasn't so far away, I would love to live there.

I shared this on Facebook after I walked around and took pictures:

"I just took a walk around this cute little town ... said hi to a few people; met a nice older dog, and then a puppy (who was loving the fringe on my boots).  I had to find somebody to take him from me so that he wouldn't follow me.  The young lady wasn't too happy about it, but she did as I asked.

The old houses here have been taken care of and are of all kinds of architecture. I took a lot of pictures on my big camera. We are waiting for thunder and lightning sometime soon; and lots of rain with some flash flooding. It is one thing or another on this trip. 

Brookhaven really is a nice little town. Low crime rate too. 12,500 people with only 10 childcare centers. Inquiring minids always want to know such things."

Thanks so much for your visit!  Please click here to check out others posting in A-Z  A-Z Blogging Challenge Participant List .  

I do have comment moderation on, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry.  If a word verification shows up, just ignore it.  I didn't put it on, Google did, and your comment will still go through even if you don't fill it out. 

Have a super day! 

~ Kathy M. 

Links:


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

7 comments:

forgetmenot said...

Kathy, I have not blogged much lately--have been busy with grandkids! Love the pictures of your trip--sounds like you covered a lot of country and had a wonderful and educational time. Love the older homes-they are always interesting to visit and get a "taste of life in the past". Anxious to see more. How is everyone in your family? Did your grandson transfer from TCU? When you have time, "catch me up" on what's been going on in your life. Have a Happy Easter. Hugs, Mickie :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Beautiful old buildings. Your photos are beautiful, too. I can imagine I would've taken hundreds of pictures.

I am originally from Oregon (grew up in Salem) and lived in Arkansas for five years. (I live in NC now.)

Bob Scotney said...

Made it today Kathy but had to hunt through the participants list to find you. On my reading list on Blogger it still tells me page does not exist.

I learn a lot about America from your blog as it deals with places I have/can never visit. Old railway memorabilia is fascinating to me. The meeting that set up the first railway was held in the town close to where I live in the UK.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

What a cute little town. The South has a lot of those. :) I'll try to keep up with your A-Z. I only did the challenge one time. It wore me out. lol

Connie said...

How fun to be able to tag along on your trip . . . I really enjoyed this post and I want to have lunch at Janie's :)

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, time with cousins is fantastic! Looks like you had a great time! I got to take a rafting trip with my cousins last summer and it was a blast.

Wendy said...

What a neat town! And your photography Kathy is so good -- so clear. Those prom dresses wouldn't fly where I live -- they look too sweet for girls around here who think they are on the red carpet.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":